YASD, and a really bad streak

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

In article <dekdqb$99k$1@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> [Snippage] ....
>
> I believe demons will teleport towards your vicinity when they have
> plenty of HP, and they may even teleport randomly when they are already
> near you, suddenly standing on another side of you (at least, that's
> what a peaceful demon seems to do when you get one by own-race
> summoning).
>
> When they are low on HP, though, I think they can only teleport to the
> upstairs to heal. If that spot happens to be occupied, they cannot heal.
>
> Which would make for another new tactic/trick, copyrighted by me, but
> free to modify for your own needs as per the GNU licence:
>
> When you enter a level with creatures that may teleport to the
> upstairs to heal
> themselves, like the Wizard of Yendor, use a cursed scroll of genocide
> on blue
> jellies standing next to the upstairs before you explore that level
> and wake up
> the offending monster. The upstairs are now occupied by a blue jelly
> (which will
> not move away), and the monster cannot escape to heal itself.
>
> --
> Boudewijn.

A nice touch, but kind of resource intensive, spare cursed scrolls
of genocide not always being readily available. My tactic is to
dig down to the next level whenever I arrive on one of the levels
with the teleporting demons. Then find the upstairs on the new
level and go back up. Zap or whack the demon to get his attention
and go back to the downstairs. The next time the demon appears next
to you, go downstairs. It will follow. Now you occupy the upstairs
(usually, at least) and can whack away with abandon. Works pretty
well for me.

Cheers.
Art

--
Art Willis
nhplayer@trantor.nospam.com Despam to reply

On 8/27/05 4:57 AM, Art Willis wrote:
> My tactic is to
> dig down to the next level whenever I arrive on one of the levels
> with the teleporting demons. Then find the upstairs on the new
> level and go back up. Zap or whack the demon to get his attention
> and go back to the downstairs. The next time the demon appears next
> to you, go downstairs. It will follow. Now you occupy the upstairs
> (usually, at least) and can whack away with abandon. Works pretty
> well for me.

That's exactly the tactic (well, without the digging) I was using in my
OP. I was standing on the upstairs, and surprised that Asmodeus kept
teleporting just on the other side of the maze wall (and not always to
the same spot).

--
Kevin Wayne

"No, no. *You* stay here, and make sure *'e* doesn't leave."
--Lord of Swamp Castle

Art Willis <nhplayer@trantor.nospam.com> wrote:
> A nice touch, but kind of resource intensive, spare cursed scrolls
> of genocide not always being readily available.

What about a scroll of earth? Will teleporting monsters teleport to
the stairs if there's a boulder there? Land mine? Beartrap?

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

In article <dev7s2$8d8$5@reader2.panix.com>, Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner says...
> Art Willis <nhplayer@trantor.nospam.com> wrote:
> > A nice touch, but kind of resource intensive, spare cursed scrolls
> > of genocide not always being readily available.
>
> What about a scroll of earth? Will teleporting monsters teleport to
> the stairs if there's a boulder there? Land mine? Beartrap?

Can't lay a trap on stairs.