Yet another clash of opinions

NeoBahamut

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
Ah, we´re at it again - system opinions! This one might be a tough bite though, so give it yer best, ok? Here goes:

<<DELL INSPIRON 5160>>
*15" XGA
*Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 518 with Hyper-Threading (2.80 GHz, 1 MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB, Intel® 852PM Chipset)
*1024Mb 333MHz DDR RAM (2x512 MB)
*64MB DDR nVidia® GeForce™ 5200 Go AGP 4x
*8x DVD +/- RW with Decoder Software
*USB 2.0 (x2), VGA, phonos, speakers, RJ-11, RJ-45, S-Video, IEEE1394 (FireWire)
*HD 30Gb

<<ACER ASPIRE 1520>>
*15" XGA TFT LCD
*AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (800Mhz, Socket 757)
*512Mb DDR RAM (2x256)
*HD 40Gb
*2x DVD-RW Dual Drive
*GeForce FX Go5700 64Mb
*Network 10/100/1000Mbit + Wlan 802.11b/g
*1xFirewire, 4xUSB2.0, 1xInfraröd, 1xVGA Out

The price is about the same for both. Please consider the overall quality of Acer/Dell products as well. Well, what do you say? ;)

/Jon

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Acer has a more powerfull processor.
The Acer's processor also creates less heat and uses less battery power
The Acer has a much better video chip
Acer sells good stuff.

The only reason to choose Dell in this case is their technical support. But that's a lame reason when their system will fry your legs. On top of that, the P4 draws so much juice that they actually have to clock it around 1/2 speed when it's running on battery, just to get the battery to last through a single movie.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BeyRevRa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
I forgot to reply to this before. Anyway, I was gonna ask why this was even up for discussion, the Acer would be the way to go.

AMD 64 3200+ (939) (Working on overclocking it)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
1 GB OCZ El Platinum clocked at 2.5-4-4-10
EVGA Geforce 6800 GT
2x WD Raptor 74GB Raid 0

darth_farter

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2004
simple... the acer will perform a lot better in every case, except if you're gonna run only heavy video/audio encoding, then the dell will save you a few seconds of your time...

edit:
^i take this back, the p4 has a 533fsb, so even an athlon non64 will most probably own it. the acer is probably a whole other leage of performance
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Darth_Farter on 12/23/04 11:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
The tech support issue is rather moot. You either get a moron from a 3rd world country with Acer, or a moron from Hicksville, USA from Dell. Federal Contracts support is just a tad better with Dell as they are required to speak English.

Dell laptops are a misnomer - should be called frying pans. Nice space saving features if used in desktop configuration - poor true mobile computing.

Acer wins this round. Heat kills laptop batteries quickly and the rest of the components slowly.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

endyen

Splendid
A good reason to buy the Dell- You spend a lot of time cruising in the pasenger seat of a convertable, with the top down, in january, in Alaska.
Other than that, the Dell is way overpriced.