enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.

I have an old Yorkfield , Q9550, 8 gigs RAM, etc.
If I had a high-end next gen video card (think AMD 6990), should I be able to play ANY DX11 game in ultra settings? Even 64bit Crysis 2 DX11, Metro 2033, etc. At least the CPU won't be a bottleneck?

Solution
With a YorkY Q9550 quadcore your looking at Deneb performance such as Phenom II X4 955.

I would think maybe yes however you might get a slight stutter or bottleneck at times.

Make sure you have enough juice in your psu to run that monster.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
With a YorkY Q9550 quadcore your looking at Deneb performance such as Phenom II X4 955.

I would think maybe yes however you might get a slight stutter or bottleneck at times.

Make sure you have enough juice in your psu to run that monster.

Solution

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the post!
The monster PSU is a 850w Seasonic. But the high end (single GPU) Southern Islands card should be around 250w or less - same as a 6970.
I was hoping the quad cores and lots of RAM & G-RAM will help reduce any slight stutter or bottleneck. At least for a generation or two..

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

I really think it would be wise to spend money for an Ivy bridge build.
Its next year and i am sure you wont regret it.

Sandy(i5 2500k) packs almost 2 times more power clock for clock than a Deneb(Phenom II X4 955).
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=88
And with Ivy you would most likely be able to get more performance.
I dont suggest you wait to long to upgrade and wait for Skymount.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I was thinking of the Southern Islands 7970, not the 6990. Just used 6990 to describe the kind of performance I was looking for, not the watts.
In the other thread, I notice my mistake. I should have said waiting for Broadwell, not Skymount.
In any case Ivy Bridge will be a big upgrade like you said and you did answer my main question :) ..

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
What resolution is your monitor? That's a pretty important thing when talking about hardware and frame rates in games. Your chip is still pretty fast especially when overclocked. At 3.6-3.8 your chip and the right video card will chew through any game.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
The monitor is 1920x1200.
Again, I don't have a 6990 (might get a 7970). Just making sure my CPU won't be the bottleneck @ 2.8-3.0 GHz - within a year or two anyway.
I agree not to get high-end video card or SLI/CF for obvious reasons. Not much happend in games the past few years and my 4870 did well for years (even a Nvidia 8800 GTX might still work OK). But I think Crysis 2 DX11 is a sign of things to come - so a 7970 may be necessary if I don't want to turn down settings anytime soon.

I know the Ivy Bridge will be awesome (maybe Bulldozer to), just reluctant to upgrade the CPU because I'll need new everything (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, etc). Since I also do real development work that requires a high-end PC, there will be an upgrade sometime no later than Haswell/Broadwell.

thanks for the posts!