You Can Preorder AMD Ryzen CPUs Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

WRXSTIGuy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
I have always liked AMD and wish that they would be competitive again. Now they hope to have that chance. Much as I would love to have a Ryzen system, about 5 years ago I invested in an Intel 3930k Sandy Bridge CPU. It is a 6 core with 12 threads and its clocked at 3.2ghz stock. I have been running it at 4.5ghz for the last 5 years and still today is outperforms many of the newer offerings. I do not have a need to upgrade other than that itch that wants me to build another system. I will keep a close eye on Ryzen and perhaps one day have a chance to build a system using it.

G

Having i7 5930k for years now running 4.6Ghz, really don't have need for Ryzen as it still offer crazy performance. I am sure for people who want to build a new system Ryzen will be a good choice.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Well, my 980x Extreme finally packed it in. Over 6 years of it running at well over a 1Ghz overclock :( I may just go without a gaming system for a bit, and see how these Ryzens perform. Perhaps, I'll build a new rig out of the 1800x

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
"it’s odd that AMD is letting people plunk down their money on products that no one has actually officially tested."

Huh? This is not "odd" at all (for AMD or any company). Why, then, is anything up for pre-order? How about: gauging interest, adjusting initial production runs, appeasing/capitalizing on early adopters, guaranteeing sales for your distribution partners...I could go on and on. Offering pre-orders is the marketing world we live in now.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I am so glad we have competition in the CPU space again. Next time it won't cost me an arm and a leg to have something better than the mainstream Intel quad-core. I've seen enough pre-release leaks and information to decide AMD is back in the game. It's too soon for me to upgrade, but this competition will hopefully translate into lower prices and better performance in a couple years!

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I have no issues with pre-ordering something before you know everything about it. But I do take issue with paying a massive premium for early access because of high demand and poor supply. I'll be patient and buy a cpu (intel or amd, depends on best value in my book) when ryzen has its expected effect: raising the performance per dollar.

CalHob

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
The fun here will be in watching all the customer reviews on pre-order websites even before release.

Tithulta

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
I've been waiting forever for these. I'm willing to preorder, just wasn't expecting a $500 pricetag for hopes and dreams. $500 for unverified performance isn't going to happen.

Eric_158

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
I just pre-ordered a new Ryzen 1800X and the midrange Gigabyte mobo. Amazing, an 8 core 16 thread cpu and mobo for $600. I'll have to wait for RAM until they reveal the specs.

I did the same thing with my Fx 8350 and bought it the first day it was available. That system has been the absolute best I ever had. Very smooth and stable with lots of performance. The Ryzen will be every bit as good.

But I really don't care if Ryzen is the ultimate tip-top cpu. I want to support AMD. I haven't bought Intel since my last Pentium, back in the early 90s. I never looked back.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
my 2600k ^ Maximus 4 Extreme won't die! running @ 5ghz, 1.5v since the start. I really am die'ing to build a computer for myself.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I don't see what the big deal with pre-ordering is. If you're and early adopter or are overdue for a PC then why not. Clearly people are pre-ordering these so there's a market for pre-orders. As for people who are satisfied with their old rigs I am one of them, got my 2600k chugging along just fine (but also have a I7-3930k, FX8320, a bunch of I3, I5's, FXs, Athlons, Phenoms). But when you consider the extra cores, and they are as fast/faster than the latest intel offerings, and do so at 65w (for the 1700). There's many reasons for people to upgrade to a Ryzen, other than just CPU performance, there's energy consumption, heat, noise, all the new capacity of the new chipset's platform. Would have loved to have seen an 8 dimm setup like an x99 so you could run 128gb of ram.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
I know they said it won't be compatible with Windows 7, but does anyone know if it will be like older CPUs when they weren't "supported", but still functioned just fine?

HUMDRUM2000

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
i use AMD in my desktops i build,but my laptops rock Intel all day.
My 8350 overclocked @4.3 GHz is slower than my Laptop i7 5700HQ at stock speeds.
I really hope AMD has gotten its act together,if Apple changes to AMD processors game over.
The same performance at much less $$ than Intel is charging.
Would mean greater profits and they dont have to lower prices on Laptops or Desktops.
I really hope this is all its cracked up to be putting my 8350 rig up for sale locally
HAF 932 CASE
AMD 8350@4.3 GHZ
LIQUID COOLING
16 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE MEMORY
256 GB EVO SSD
2, 3 TB HDD
GTX 650 VIDEO CARD
MSI FX MOTHERBOARD
I will probably come out better parting the system than selling as a whole
reuse what i can for the new 1800 cpu and sell the rest.
Although the 1700 looks like the one most of us are buying.
Come to think of it how much faster can the 1700 be than the 8350?

dffeitlstp

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
What is the point of this article??? You can secure a hot new AMD next-gen processor if you want one. Why would you dis AMD for letting people pre-order? Only if you are an Intel snob. Next time don't publish the article, or keep your opinion out of it.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"I did the same thing with my Fx 8350 and bought it the first day it was available. That system has been the absolute best I ever had."

Its not really the same situation---a more apt comparison would be the fx-8150/20 launch, which had some issues with Steam DRM for about a month after launch, making it impossible to play your steam library without resorting to illegal means. The time frame for a fix depended on when your mobo manufacturer got around to sending the patched microcode in a BIOS update. I had a Sabertooth 990FX at the time, and thats about how long it took for ASUS to get a bug fix out, although IIRC, they got some lower end boards fixes out slightly sooner, and the flagship CH-V ROG board.

Not saying that will happen with Ryzen, but the 8350 was a revision on a design that had already been out for a while, and this (Ryzen) is a completely new CPU design.

mellis

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I am still hanging on to my i7 3930k system with my AMD 390x GPU. I don't even see the point of getting a 4K monitor right now. I will wait to see how all of this irons out. When systems can start playing 4K games on a regular basis and prices start to drop, I see no point in upgrading right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.