[SOLVED] You don't have permission to access this folder - Sudden issue, need help please!!

sharath_83

Distinguished
Hi all,

I have started facing this sudden issue, i am unable to access to some of the folders on my D drive. It says: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder." ...

I did go to Properties > Security tab, it shows "To Continue, you must be an administrative user with permission to view this object's security properties. Do you want to continue?"

.. after i click 'Continue' button, a pop-up opens which is "Advanced Security Settings..." ... I see Under Name: 2 Admin names, but even if i select "admin (admin-PC\admin)" and click apply, error message i see is: "Unable to set new owner on (folder name). Access is denied"

I need to urgently access some folders, but today i cannot, all these days it was fine.

Any idea why am i facing this issue all of a sudden? This issue is with the Internal HDD.

PC Config:
Processor: Intel Core i5 4440
Motherboard: Gigabyte Tech Z97-D3H-CF
Memory: 16 GB DDR3
Graphic card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

Solution
Any idea why am i facing this issue all of a sudden? This issue is with the Internal HDD.
Open elevated command prompt and execute following commands
(substitute c:\foldername with actual folder, you want to access. If foldername contains spaces, then use double quotes - "c:\foldername" instead)
takeown /f c:\foldername /r
icacls c:\foldername /reset /t
Do not run this command on c:\windows ! Or you'll have to do full reinstall.

Ralston18

Titan
You must be logged in as an Administrator with the applicable folder and file permissions.

Forum rules prohibit assistance with any attempts to bypass or hack any security configurations.

Does/did anyone else have rights/access to the folder(s) in question? If so, you will need to work with those persons.

sharath_83

Distinguished
You must be logged in as an Administrator with the applicable folder and file permissions.

Forum rules prohibit assistance with any attempts to bypass or hack any security configurations.

Does/did anyone else have rights/access to the folder(s) in question? If so, you will need to work with those persons.

There is no other login, only one login.

No, no one has rights/access to the folders, this is my personal home computer, and only today i started facing this issue. One thing is that, i think day before, the computer was turned off without shutting down, and the next time when i turned the PC ON, the C Drive went into scanning mode before loading the OS, when it scanned some corrupt files were being deleted i think, not sure if this as to do anything with the folder access?

Ralston18

Titan
The sudden "power off" without the proper shutdown process may well have caused file corruptions of some sort.

Either to the admin/user access rights and permissions and/or to the individual folder/file permissions themselves.

If any of your admin rights have remained intact then you might be able to use those rights to restore your admin rights to the folders and files in question.

Otherwise you will need to restore the inaccessible folders and files from backups. Or do some other restore to recovery the folders and files.

sharath_83

Distinguished
If any of your admin rights have remained intact then you might be able to use those rights to restore your admin rights to the folders and files in question.

How do i do this please?

Otherwise you will need to restore the inaccessible folders and files from backups. Or do some other restore to recovery the folders and files.

If above 'restore your admin rights' won't work, will going back and restore the last restore point works? How will this affect the files i have created, copy/pasted, installed programmer etc., so far? As i don't remember when was the last restore point was created, i need to check that too .. I don't backup of those folders/files :(

Open elevated command prompt and execute following commands
(substitute c:\foldername with actual folder, you want to access. If foldername contains spaces, then use double quotes - "c:\foldername" instead)
takeown /f c:\foldername /r
icacls c:\foldername /reset /t
Do not run this command on c:\windows ! Or you'll have to do full reinstall.

Solution