Little background story,

Pc specs:
Amd fx 8320 no overclock
Radeon r9 290
7200rpm hdd
750w evga power supply
16gb crucial ddr3 ram
Asus m5a99x evo r.2 mobo

I was working on a video editing project, my pc started to act weird, colored lines freezes then reboot, I uninstalled my gpu driver , everything seems to work fine but on Microsoft basic display adapter
, so I figured it might be software related , I wiped my hard drive , installed windows 10 pro,
All seems fine, I installed gpu drivers and back to square one, it started to happen again, so I changed the pcie port to the lower one, in safe mode no flickering no Artifacts nothing, as soon as I install the driver it acts up, what could it be? My gpu is dying? Or something else is trying to put me out of alot of money on hardware and losing my projects?

Are you running any overclocking software for the GPU? if so try turning it off and doing a restart and see if the issue persists. My reasoning on this is that an unstable overclock can and will cause these issues also.

Have you tried older drivers to see if the issue is with just that driver?

Hijjawi

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
I had asus gpu tweak running before it happened , but no overclocking, I only used it for my custom fan temp profile, it was running quiet and cool , no overheating nothing, I remember the max temp was like 60 degrees , and for drivers, I tried only one older driver but same thing happened as well

The issue with recommending a GPU right now is the fact that the prices are so darn high. Because of this it is difficult to recommend one at a descent price point with the same or better performance than what you have so this being said either a AMD RX 580 8GB or a Nvidia GTX 1070 will have the horse power to render and encode and give a boost in performance. Sadly the cost for both are (at least at this point) both over $400 USD. As an example of the cost issue the RX 580 8GB had a MSRP of $280ish USD when released.

I to have been in need of replacing my GPU, a Radeon HD 7970, but because of the price hikes I have been putting it off till the price lowers again. For me I just bought my sons old R9 280 and crossfire'd them for the time being. The crypto-miners have really put a hurt on those that use the GPU for other things.

From a GPU cost aspect I don't believe yours could have died at a more inopportune time. :pfff: Other cards will work but will be slower making time completion time go up. It is possible to find one used, for a temporary replacement, that has not been used for mining. If this becomes your best option be sure to look at the PCB especially around the power circuitry for discoloration. This is a sure sign that the GPU was drawing large amounts of power and caused temperature discoloration to the PCB. While this is not a sure sign that the GPU was used for mining it is a sign of abusive workloads and high temperatures.

Hijjawi

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
So after the swap, installed nvidia drivers and everything seems fine, benchmarked to see if it cracks under pressure and all is fine, so unfortunately the gpu is dying :(