Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THANK YOU!

Was almost sure I had tried that.

That is MUCH better. strange that the color made a difference since non of it was blue or white.

Either way. that is much better.

Shame to have to pick between FF looking good and accent colors. defaults it is for now. Funny thing is with grey titlebars(theme mod) the old version looked very close to this.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I don't use firefox so I can't give an opinion.
I tried to use Internet Explorer, and I couldn't believe the popus that kept poping up, and Phishing .

FenDavo

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015

I would love a tutorial that helps me completely and forever, remove English (United States) from everywhere on my computer. The lock screen, the logon screen, the task bar. ..everywhere. I was bitterly disappointed to install Windows 10 only to see that it had arrogantly assumed that I no longer wanted my own mother language and proceeded to add English U.S everywhere as the default. Why would it not pick up my original Windows 7 settings? I tried this: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9650-built-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html
But unfortunately it did not work. English US is still listed under ENG on the lock screen.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

right-click on the Windows Start icon. lots of system links like Device Manager are much easier to get to this way.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
My point for the tutorials would a warning.

If you need your computer to run 24/7, Win 10 will bite you. You CANNOT defer security updates. The malicious software removal tool was updated for me this morning...and the system rebooted. This, despite deferring updates (Win 10 Pro).

I think they're gonna catch some hell over this.

If you need your computer to run 24/7 you're using the wrong version of windows.
And you should consider scheduled restarts.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
just use the built-in Windows image mounting, but don't leave anything mounted ever.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

I found this link, that may or may not help you.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/language-packs#lptabs=win10 click to open the link, then select windows 10.it will take you to how to change language input.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

FenDavo: here's another link I found.
http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=12969
according to this article, you can get the media creation tool, and download the final Win 10 ISO image in your language to burn to a USB flash drive,or DVD.then do a clean install.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

I'm trying to fix the corruption that happened when I upgraded to 10. DISM says it's repairable, so what do I do now? Do I have to get an ISO? If so, from where?

USAFRet

Titan

You can, of course, make it ask you before it reboots. The updates will be installed, but it will not reboot on its own.
See Advanced Options under Windows Update.
sdEvSrW.jpg

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

enter Advanced Startup options during boot and try their Recovery or Refresh from there or enter Control Panel > Recovery and see if those work

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
USAF: ARGH. Now that you mention it...that was noted during the initial rollout, wasn't it? And I forgot all about it. (I refuse to be embarassed that I didn't see it. SO many changes to try to track. Even if it is just Right There.)

USAFRet

Titan

It's only been a couple of weeks. We're finding new things every day...:)

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
And this IS a risk of being an early adoptee. The old adage was, wait until Service Pack 1 comes out; it takes that long to shake out all the bugs, and to learn how to really use it. Service packs seem to be gone, but something like wait for 6 months so they *really* shake it out, does make sense.

Superdaisy

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
I jumped to Windows 10 from Windows 7 directly, got overwhelmed by the fascinating interface (guess just because I bypassed Windows 8). My problem with Windows is that some of my frequently used software not seem to be compatible with this fancy OS, yes, my 5KPlayer can still play DVDs and video editing program run perfectly as I am a video editor, but I stumbled when using my firefox and VPN and some basic software. If the searching box wouldn't be so helpful I'll definitively go back to Windows 7.

It seems that Windows 10 has quite a bit of room for improvement as far as consistency is concerned. Just a little while ago, Cortana search did not bring up any search results until I restarted Windows. When I resume from sleep, Cortana does not respond to "Hey Cortana". Also, my mobile tablet running Windows 10 has pinned my purchased apps to the start menu, but I have yet to see that on my PC. I also had a bit of trouble installing updates a while ago. And where is this RS1 pack update? I have not seen it installed yet. Looks like I should boot to my Windows 8.1 drive primarily for the next few weeks until Windows 10 stabilizes, then I'll transition over to Windows 10.

eddyxwu

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I pre-registered for Windows 10 and installed it when it came out. It upgraded my Windows 8.1 and I left it overnight to finish.
Then things went south.
First of all, there was no network connections. The device manager reports everything is working fine but networking center can't see anything. No ethernet when the cable is plugged in, no wifi, either.
So i googled around and finally found the issue: i had the cisco VPN installed before the upgrade. The solution, go back to Win 8.1, uninstall VPN and upgrade again.
So i when to the upgrade screen and tries to go back. But of cause it doesn't work. The error msg is that files are missing.
So next thing is trying to do a factory reset. And the factory image is corrupt!
So i ended up downloading Win 10 on an USB and did a clean install, wiping my hard drive.
Now it's asking me to activate windows. But the key is in the BIOS so i can't get to it.
Called MS and was told to keep my laptop (HP Envy TS 15t-j100) connected to the internet for 24 hours.
Haven't had time to do that yet since i carry it to work every day to use it.
So it was pretty much a disaster.

randybatiquin

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I had Windows 7 with my ASUS entry level laptop. Upgraded to Windows 10 without a hitch, and never returned back to 7.

But after a week. My HDD died. Coincidence?

Audio volume in games is too soft in Windows 10. Audio glitched out in MKX until I signed out of Windows. I'm going to default boot to Windows 8.1 until further notice. I've had enough. Windows 10 is just not ready for gaming yet.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
more than likely. unless it's just normal hardware failure, you may have downloaded a virus that was accessing your hd at high levels and caused it's early demise.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
you don't mention checking your motherboard's or pre-built site for updated drivers. of course with a new OS there is going to be updates for almost everything software-wise. you may not need them for hardware to function, but it's always the best idea to keep everything in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.