Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan

Start Screen
Extremely feature limited (terrible) - good thing there's Classic Shell

I never really used it in 8/8.1. Most used applications pinned to the taskbar. For everything else, WIN+S
In Win 10, search directly on the taskbar if you want.
Never bothered with ClassicShell or its clones.

Settings
Disorganized, illogical, makes no sense - MS should discontinue this feature, or make it efficient.

eh...it's different. Could be more consolidated.
Control Panel looks exactly the same, but 'Settings' is a whole different look and feel. Needs to be one or the other.

Updates
Need to figure out how to update manually - Automatic drivers update scares me.

I get why they are doing this. Far too many people have systems that haven't been updated in years.
Not sure if I like it or not.

Explorer
Navigation pane is bloated. Whoever decided to put Docs, Pics etc.. with drives should be fired and never work in this profession! Just leave the drives alone..

eh...just different.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
OK.. So if the car manufacturers decide that people should maneuver a car with their feet, and accelerate and brake with using hands, I guess you're not going to complain :) eh...just different

Imagine a new driver giving BSOD, and once you go back to the previous version, Win update will just update it back to the buggy one :)

USAFRet

Titan

A car HID is a bit different. And car makers have actually tried new control methods. Several years ago, SAAB tested out a joystick instead of steering wheel.
Did not go over well. But piloting several thousand pounds of steel is a bit different than not finding the clicky to change your screen saver.

And even in cars, there has been significant push back in some of the new control features. My daughter was over here tonight, and in the course of the conversation, complaining about her car. No idea how to actually use all of that junk.
And all that touchscreen stuff to control the radio, etc? No thank you. Give me tactile knobs I can adjust without looking.

Even in racing circles...F1 drivers are bitching about too many controls on the steering wheel.

The basic car interface has been stable for about 100 years. Point and click OS is still in its infancy. Still trying to figure it out.
With every new OS and version, be it Windows, Apple, Linux....there is always some bitching about things being in a different place.

But the Win 10 interface is not THAT different than Vista/7/8/8.1. Drive letters are still drive letters, folders are still folders, the mouse is still the mouse.

NarekUnited

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

There is no WiFi box there but Bluetooth box is there. It is slightly colored which means it is on but unlike other boxes when I click on it, it doesn't change its color which means it not being turned off. The only way to disable WiFi and Bluetooth it's to disable them from Device Manager, and that's exactly what I did.

harbinger789

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
As I type this on my old Windows 7 stand-by, because I can't type diddly on my freshly installed Windows 10 laptop, I'm calling Windows 10 a failure. Yes, I checked for BIOS updates & updated drivers. Nothing found.

Once again, I should have expected Windows to be FUBAR until SP 2 is released. Back to Windows 7.

USAFRet

Titan

And I'm typing this on my 6 year old laptop, freshly upgraded to Win 10.
So....

What happened with yours?

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

My kind of luck happened. So far, for me, the difference between 8.1 and 10 is night and day. 8.1 was broken on day 1. 10 corrupted something that's unfixable (a bug that happened to others), but runs without issue (other than new software bugs)

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
my desktop was upgraded a couple days ago.
I have noticed that when I use my email on yahoo, I can't attach send mail with any attachments. this occurs in the Edge, as well as the windows 11 IE.
I also tried to burn an ISO file to DVD, and couldn't find out how to do it in windows 10. I had to use my other desktop pc which has Vista.
am I gonna have to keep a pc in win 7 pro,so I can do what windows 10 can't do< that's what it looks like to me.

For future reference you can burn the ISO by right clicking it and selecting burn disc image.

2q8zkpe.jpg

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
other than the above problems,haven/t had any trouble navigating on my one desk pc and one of my laptops thatThen the log in iwindoiw appears. have been upgraded to windows 10.
the opening screen on the desktop pc,when I boot up, is eerie to say the least.the whole display is black,except for the window, then it launches into a neat window that shows the time, and a seascape.

USAFRet

Titan

I think you have something that has captured/added to your context menu for burning an ISO do a DVD.
Neither of my Win 10 systems have that option built in.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
would I be correct in the impression,i 'm getting, that the only way to send an email with attachments is to have a Hotmail or MSN account?
I dropped my Hotmail email five years ago because I was being hassled by Hotmail, re. my password,i kept being told every third time I tried to access my mail, that I had to change my given name and password to something else .
I've been happy with yahoo,since I opened my emailaccount with them.

Not sure why not. It opens the Windows Disc Image Burner. The same one 7 and 8 have.

24nlk6x.jpg

If I just double click it the image gets mounted.

Webmail should still work as it always did.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I've noticed something unusual with win10. when I am not typing anything, the num locks light on my Microsoft keyboard is unlit. when I start typing, it comes on. When I stop typing the light goes off. Has anyone else noticed this?

That one seems new.

USAFRet

Titan

I found the (my!) issue.
It depends on the existence of a blank DVD in the drive...lol

I never noticed that, because I use a 3rd party tool all the time.

I have no discs in my system(but you made me check just in case I left the Windows 10 disc in or something).

The other system had a DVD in the drive, but it was playing a movie.

3rd party tools most likely disable it. I do not burn many discs these days since flash drives and hard drives have come down in price so much over the years.

USAFRet

Titan

Win 8.1 Pro.
With no blank DVD, I did not see that option
With blank DVD, that Burn disk image option exists
Eject the blank DVD, option still exists.
I wonder if that would survive through a reboot...

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
I had no trouble with the upgrade,on the two pcs that have been upgraded so far. I have 2 other pcs that have win7 on them, but have not yet upgraded. Considering the problem I have with windows 10 not allowing me to attach files to my yahoo emails,I am debating on whether to keep one of the se two un upgraded pcs on windows 7.0.
Thanks Nukemaster and USAFRET for your advice re, the one problem I was having.
As for the problem involving my email, I refuse to get a Hotmail account,after the way they hassled me 5 years ago.

AlexisLSM

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
I have yet to discover Windows 10 because I am downloading it now. Hope I find it good. I'll read other's opinion now and post mine later.

wjsonl

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
Windows 10 and my nVidia driver clashed, causing frequent screen blackouts (nothing to do with gaming). Before uninstalling W10 and going back to W8.1, my screen was blacking out every 5 seconds or so. I tried all kinds of online suggestions and nothing worked. Only after uninstalling W10 have I been able to return to a stable screen and get something done on my computer. Don't know if I'll ever "upgrade" to W10 again. Also, I don't like the idea of having Windows Updates shoved down my throat as they are in W10, but they're not in W8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS