[SOLVED] Your system's firmware did not preserve the system memory map across the hibernate transition.

ebayguy2006

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016
In-Short: Booting up pc goes to a black screen with the below listed.

"Your system's firmware did not preserve the system memory map across the hibernate transition. If you proceed with resume, your system could behave in an unexpected manner after resume completes. It is recommended that you save all your data and reboot the system after resume finishes. Kindly check for a firmware update with your system vendor as it may fix this problem."

with the choices of:
-Continue with system resume.
-Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu.

Back-Story/Context: Had my pc stolen by police under fake warrant, fake charges 100 days after theft; beat the case; got my pc back after the year long process; now it wont boot up. It was in sleep/hibernate mode working fine when they took the pc. I have a samsung evo ssd drive, an hdd drive, amd 990fxa motherboard. I believe the drives are in their proper hook-up order as before.
I know they removed all the drives and had them sent off so I do not know if it is too likely that it has something to do with getting past the password window on start-up; therefor my guess is something interfered with the boot-up/hibernate(file) process when they accessed the drives in which ever way they do.
I don't see how this whole thing could have anything to do with the system firmware fixes you see all over the web.

I'd prefer to save the hibernate file as I do a lot of legal work (work they wanted to prevent) and I do not know what important files I had ongoing.

Any advice will be helpful including thoughts on what they may have done that may have caused the problem.
~Thank you for your time! May this post aid others as well.

Solution
So what happens when you select system resume? Hibernation does not always work, and if they had the system turned on or booted the drives on other computers there is no way to know what was done to them. The way hibernate works is that it writes the system memory contents to a file then shuts down the system. From the message the computer can't properly restore that file to RAM. Not much you can do here except either allow the system to continue to try to resume the system or select the second option to do a clean boot.
So what happens when you select system resume? Hibernation does not always work, and if they had the system turned on or booted the drives on other computers there is no way to know what was done to them. The way hibernate works is that it writes the system memory contents to a file then shuts down the system. From the message the computer can't properly restore that file to RAM. Not much you can do here except either allow the system to continue to try to resume the system or select the second option to do a clean boot.

Reactions: ebayguy2006
Solution

ebayguy2006

Reputable
Jul 9, 2016

Thanks for the reply; I have not tried the resume option or anything as of yet because I did not want to do something that might be unable to be undone until I received insight from another, such as yourself. I presumed that was my only option and just wanted to make sure. I will try to resume and have it boot normally, discarding any hibernate file which must be corrupt or missing.