YouTube Experiments With 4K Video At 60 Frames Per Second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
"only those with deep pockets can afford to buy both the display and the appropriate amount of bandwidth."

I disagree...
I saw a 39" 4K TV yesterday at Tigerdirect for $299

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8430969&CatId=8893

Netflix requires roughly 25Mbps for 4K streaming.
I'm lucky enough to get 56.8 Mbps and I'm currently on a deal for $64.99 per month WITH basic SD cable.

You always get what you pay for. Latest tech for only $300, there have to be some tradeoofs.

achoo2

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Meanwhile every 320x200 stream buffers and pops up a blue bar offering to explain the interruptions: your ISP sucks.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Well, the problem with this whole thing so far is that, if you have an internet connection that can handle that kind of bandwidth, awesome. But this kind of thing is going to fully saturate even the best connections. In America, at least. So if you want to watch YouTube or Netflix, nobody else in the house can use the internet.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
"only those with deep pockets can afford to buy both the display and the appropriate amount of bandwidth."

I disagree...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8430969&CatId=8893

I'm lucky enough to get 56.8 Mbps and I'm currently on a deal for $64.99 per month WITH basic SD cable.

what is a seike and UHD is not 4K. UHD resolution is UDH and 4K resolutions are 4K. There is a difference. The 4k moniker is just there for marketing.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
oh great!!! My poor 7Mb/s connection has no hope. I would have to rip the video off of youtube before I could actually watch it to avoid the buffering.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
The base internet speed out here in my little midwest town, near Kansas City, is 50Mbps. I really don't see bandwidth for this as much of an issue, unless you aren't willing to pay $50/mo for internet.

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009

I disagree...

Although it is 4k "120hz", that only means the post proccess. That TV can only accept a 4K 30Hz signal, it has to do with the limited technology at the time of making it. So you will not be able to see the 4K 60Hz youtube videos.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The base internet speed out here in my little midwest town, near Kansas City, is 50Mbps. I really don't see bandwidth for this as much of an issue, unless you aren't willing to pay $50/mo for internet.
First, when Google Fiber is in your area, the other ISPs have to step up their game to compete. Most of the country doesn't have those speeds.

Second, you need to sustain 50 Mbps, not just have a nominal peak speed of 50 Mbps, which means you probably need peak speeds of at least 100 Mbps. And let's see how fast your sustained speeds are at peak hours (fri and sat night).

Bandwidth is definitely an issue here, for most people.

NoneBeforeNoneAfter

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
As far as I knew we have beeen comfortable with 30 fps forever. I dont think even 4K movies will be at 60 fps fro a long long time. Am I missing something here? Is 60 fps over 30fps noticeable with video as it is with games?

Paying $50 a month to the only ISP in the area for 6Mbp/s.
Don't assume everyone is so fortunate

As far as I knew we have beeen comfortable with 30 fps forever. I dont think even 4K movies will be at 60 fps fro a long long time. Am I missing something here? Is 60 fps over 30fps noticeable with video as it is with games?
IMO Yes it is noticeable. Not massive but it does help.

That said, I don't think we really *need* 60 FPS yet. And I don't think we need 4K either.
I just upgraded to a 1920x1080 monitor in the last year. Although a higher res monitor
would be nice for viewing photos and stuff, the extra resolution is of limited use
in video.

ABnormAL613

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
Im with TPG in Australia and im down to 3.2mbp/s way to slow for anything, cant even play online games ping si to slow, internet is bad here in Australia, take to long to down load games from steam :(

Google is always ahead of the curve in terms of better quality implementation (thats why they make the big bucks).
4K 60 fps might be a bit too soon NOW, but they are getting ready for later.
One thing thou, so many times you get those pesky loading circles, even on low quality videos... On 4K 60 FPS? I wonder how they plan to hae enought bandwidth to get that done once it becomes mainstream.

SGM26

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
You'll need a beastly CPU to handle the workload, too. I'm fine on a 4790K but others have reported lag and dropped frames on slower machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.