Question YouTube Video Error on Chrome - Need Help

Robert42

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've been having an issue with YouTube videos on Google Chrome. Every time I load a video, I get an "An error has occurred" message. However, if I reload the page, the video will play just fine.
Google Chrome is running under Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Here’s what I’ve already tried:

Cleared cache and cookies.
Disabled all Chrome extensions.
Tried incognito mode.
Disabled hardware acceleration.
Reset network settings.
Uninstalled and reinstalled Google Chrome.
Oddly enough, this issue does not occur on Firefox, so it seems isolated to Chrome.

Has anyone else experienced this or have suggestions for other steps I could take? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

KingLoki

Great
Jul 10, 2024
Sounds like it could be a DNS problem. Have you tried changing to google's dns addresses ? If still a problem, try cloudflare.
Google: 8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4
Cloudflare: 1.1.1.1

Robert42

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Just tried changed the DNS, but no change. I don't know what else except try Chromium makes no sense really, neither does Firefox

KingLoki

Great
Jul 10, 2024
Did you reboot you pc and modem after changing? Also is there a dns server address in your modem?
When did it start....after update, added software, etc.?

KingLoki

Great
Jul 10, 2024
You can also try launching chrome in 'Safe Mode' which gives you a stripped down basic version with no plug-ins or extensions. Worth a try!

Robert42

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Yes, I've done all that. When did it happen, about two weeks ago it was all right one day and the next day I switched it on there were errors, I initially ignored that because Google is noted for doing some things.
Since posting this I have installed Chromium absolutely no problem but I am reluctant to use this as my daily driver because there are some features on Chrome which are not in chromium like the microphone.
I'm about to try something else the possibility that there is some corruption in the config files. That's those on my home directory ~/.config these are not usually removed when you delete an app. I will get back to you after I've done this. Thank you for your time and patience.