May 20, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm having some major issues with my setup right now:

whenever I play games my audio starts crackling and it's driving me crazy :(

My Setup:
CPU: i5 6600K
MoBo: Asus Z170-A
GPU: MSI GTX 970
Speakers: 3.5mm Speakers connected to the back panel.

I have read through alot of different threads addressing this problem, but none seems to resolve my issue. So basically whenever I load up some rather demanding games (namely Dark Souls 3, H1Z1 and Rocket League - to a certain extend) my Speakers start crackling and distorting noises (no issues with microstutter tho - framerate is fine). Whenever I stream youtube/twitch/spotify there are no issues at all. This makes me wonder if the problem is directly connected to my MoB/GPU, that's why I'm posting here. I really hope someone here can help me find an individual solution for me.

Things I have tried so far:

1) Clean install of Windows 10 - Didn't help.
2) Update drivers - I updated both my Realtek driver to v6.0.1.8152 (May 17) and my NIC (i219-v). Not helping.
3) GeForce drivers - I tried several drivers, with and without GeForce Expierence/HD Audio/3DVision. Right now I'm running the newest release without HD Audio/Experience. Didn't help.
4) Avoid Realtek - I forced generic Windows HD Audio drivers, no change.
5) Tweak audio settings - I disabled enhancing effects, lowered bitrate, disabled unused devices. No change.
6) External Soundcard - I bought a (cheap) USB->3.5mm. The issue persists (both on a headset and my speakers).
7) Power MGMT - In my BIOS I disabled SpeedStep and C-States. I removed XMP profile. I changed my PCI_E Speeds to Gen1/Gen2/Gen3/Auto. I changed energy settings within windows to 100%. Nothing changed.
8) Different Slot - Plugged my GPU into the other PCI_E Slot.
9) MSI Util - Both my GTX and my HD Audio slots are running in MSI mode. Nope.
10) DPC Latency - I have been using LatencyMon. When idle my system runs just fine (<300us at all times - mostly below 100us). Whenever I start playing a game through steam my NIC starts spiking (~3000us). I have tried to disable my NIC and run the games -> no spikes but crackling occurs.
11) Disconnected AACP Header - ...

I am really running out of ideas here. Is there something I might have missed? Could a change of hardware (new mobo, PSU for instance) help? I'm just worried hardware change won't fix anything and I'm stuck on a corrupted system, since I read about a similar problem with lots of different Motherboards. Or is there some kind of magical board that will fix that?

I'm glad for any kind of suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.