Question Z170 Chipset Dead?

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
Hi,

I have a ASUS z170 pro gaming mobo currently powered by a core i5-6500 (built in 2016). While it's still running pretty damn well, I'm starting to research cpu upgrades. I'd like to keep my mother board if possible but is there anything worth upgrading to that's compatible with a z170 motherboard?

I'm not the guy who needs to be running my games highest graphics setting and 60 fps + at all times. I just want to be able to play them smoothly. Something that can hold me over for the next 5 years would be ideal. Definitely trying to avoid a situation where the only way to play the newest titles will be a total overhaul of my rig.

Thanks!
Jack

My specs:
Asus z170 Pro Gaming MB
Intel Core I5-6500
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950
Evga 650p2 psu
2 x 8gb G Skille Ripjaw Ram

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
I'm looking at the same upgrade as well, coincidentally my specs are really similar to yours haha.
Reason I want to upgrade is due to my new part time job which requires photo editing, as such I will be upgrading mine to i7-7700 or 7700k, depending on what I can find, as it is really rare now, and the price is still as expensive when it was released.

My rig:

ASUS z170 Pro Gaming Aura
Intel Core I5-6400
Palit GTX 1080
TT 650w PSU
2 x 8GB G Skill Rip Jaws V

For your specs, since you are only gaming, I wouldn't recommend upgrading CPU.
My CPU is lower end than yours, but with the GTX 1080, I am still able to play all games at ultra settings over 60 FPS @1080p to date, even including latest games like NFS Heat.

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
I'm looking at the same upgrade as well, coincidentally my specs are really similar to yours haha.
Reason I want to upgrade is due to my new part time job which requires photo editing, as such I will be upgrading mine to i7-7700 or 7700k, depending on what I can find, as it is really rare now, and the price is still as expensive when it was released.

My rig:

ASUS z170 Pro Gaming Aura
Intel Core I5-6400
Palit GTX 1080
TT 650w PSU
2 x 8GB G Skill Rip Jaws V

For your specs, since you are only gaming, I wouldn't recommend upgrading CPU.
My CPU is lower end than yours, but with the GTX 1080, I am still able to play all games at ultra settings over 60 FPS @1080p to date, even including latest games like NFS Heat.

You and Zizo007 said the same thing. Can my i5 last a little longer if I put in a decent gpu upgrade in the meantime? Other people have suggested the 5600xt; is that what you would recommend too?

Really depends on what you're trying to play. More and more new games are using more cores. So that i5 will show high usage more often than not and it may lead to stutter and frame drops.

The 7700k is still selling for way to mich to recommend. At the price of even a used i7, unless you find a screaming deal, you could build a 2600x setup. Or a 1600af if you wanted it cheaper.

blackkeys1098

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2016
Really depends on what you're trying to play. More and more new games are using more cores. So that i5 will show high usage more often than not and it may lead to stutter and frame drops.

The 7700k is still selling for way to mich to recommend. At the price of even a used i7, unless you find a screaming deal, you could build a 2600x setup. Or a 1600af if you wanted it cheaper.

I play some fps (initially build the thing to play Deus Ex MD which it does very well) but for the most part strategy games are what I play the most. I have Xcom 2 WOTC with TONS of mods and it works just about perfectly. I haven't bought/tried Phoenix Point yet and don't know if it's finally going to show its age when I do.

From what I understand, strategy games are harder on the processor than the gpu; is that right?