Z170 pro4s turns on shuts down then turns on with no display!!

justinplati

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Hey there!! Just built a new computer...have a 700w power supply a corsair full case i5 7600k and a z170 pro4s mobo...the problem is i put it all together very carefully this is my second build, and when i powered it on everything starts up all the fans run but i get no display...about 15 to 20 seconds later the computer shuts down for about 5 seconds then starts back up and runs constantly after that but still no display.....ive tried changing the ram around even down to 1 stick....ive reseated the cpu and cooling fan ive cleared the cmos and tried a different power supply all with no luck...keeps doing it...ive also tried hdmi cables and dvi cables ...is my mobo a "dead on arrival" or is there something i could be missing?? All chords are firmly attached...i also tried putting in my gpu (gtx 970) and hookin display up that way with no luck...helpp pleaseee!!!

Solution
you will need to update the bios, but with this motherboard you can't do it without a skylake cpu, it doesn't support bios update without a cpu. So you have 3 options:
1 somehow,with another cpu propably, update your bios.
2 get a skylake cpu
3 get a z270 motherboard

gussrtk

Honorable
I think you have probably hit a BIOS issue. Yes the new CPUs (7xxx) can use the 170 chipsets, but generally they need a BIOS update to be able to boot up with a Kabylake CPU. To update Bios... you need a PC that boots... so for that you would need any (with proper socket type) Skylake CPU for an update... so that's out of the question

Best choice is to return your Z170 board and buy yourself a z270 motherboard (which is a "direct fit" sort of speak). You can have a look at the z170 bios update threads (search google, there are many)

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016

What he said, you need a BIOS update or another motherboard.

justinplati

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
So your saying the bios needs an update but to do that ide need a different cpu??? Cause itd have to boot to update? Lol that guy at canada computers told me it was all compatible and all ide have to do is glash the bios...oh k so new motherboard or new cpu till i flash the bios?? Lol sorry bit of a noob here

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
you will need to update the bios, but with this motherboard you can't do it without a skylake cpu, it doesn't support bios update without a cpu. So you have 3 options:
1 somehow,with another cpu propably, update your bios.
2 get a skylake cpu
3 get a z270 motherboard

Solution

justinplati

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
Thank you very much for the support!! Im just gonna buy a new z270...prolly cheapest and easiest way to go about this....now if i buy a z270 will i have to flash the bios while setting up??