[SOLVED] z370 won't post with dual channel memory?

waa_buster

Commendable
Mar 23, 2020
So first off, running the most current bios, Intel 9600k, MSI z370 - a pro xpg 2400 ram (2 8gb sticks) - yes they match

Runs fine with ram in dimmb1&2 but if I put sticks in any other slot (even one single stock in dimma2) it won't give video output

Any help would be appreciated, I don't mind buying a new mobo or different ram if need be but I want to diagnose the problem before I go throwing money at it

Computer runs great and again reads both sticks in 3&4 slots but ik I'm leaving some performance on the table and also want to make sure I don't hurt anything if I just leave it alone

waa_buster

Commendable
Mar 23, 2020
Update ;

possibly had a few misaligned pins. pulled ram, gpu and cpu and straightened pins, problem solved.. booted up in dual channel no problem first startup!

Thanks guys… ill definitely be more careful next time!

Mar 28, 2020
Update ;

possibly had a few misaligned pins. pulled ram, gpu and cpu and straightened pins, problem solved.. booted up in dual channel no problem first startup!

Thanks guys… ill definitely be more careful next time!
I have the same issue on my z370 gaming m5 except its only dimm 4 not working my ram works in all other slots even the RGB lights up in dimm 4 but no video looked for bent pins can't see any. How can I tell if I missed bent pins. Happened after I installed water cooler

waa_buster

Commendable
Mar 23, 2020
Just really gotta take a good look, I know they're not easy to see, but none should be touching and they should be the same angle as the other pins in that row

pull the GPU maybe so you have better angles, also someone else said to enable xmp in the bios so you should try that before you take it apart of it's not enabled already but it should still be reading