Z390 Aorus Master Beeping but everything works perfectly?

Feb 5, 2019
Hello everyone,

this Monday we successfully put together a Z390 Master Aorus build. Upon first boot it started beeping constantly, the frequency steadily increasing until it stopped entirely by itself and I got an 'AO' code (I assumed it was normal behavior as it only happened once and the hardware worked as intended). Since then, when I boot it after leaving it off for a few hours or re-enabling the power, it will beep like this. The PC has been working perfectly for the past days and still is. No problem whatsoever with performance or temps, I got 2 BSODs in total but that was because of Corsair's iCue software, removing it fixed everything.

Now, can anyone tell me: Is this behavior normal?

What I find weird aswell is, as soon as it gives an 'AO' while booting, you can hear something shutting off. Is this a POST thing or what?

The other specs are:
CPU: i9-9900k (no OC)
GPU: RTX 2080 Ti (beeps with or w/o OC)
Boot Drive: M.2 SSD Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB @ Windows 10 Pro
RAM: 2x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 Mhz (XMP enabled)

Thanks in advance.

Feb 5, 2019

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate your help.

You are correct, A0 is the standard code to be shown when everything's running correctly.
Memory is installed in 1/3 but I am also familiar with the chart you posted and this seems to apply only when you are actually experiencing any problems at all, i.e. not have an 'A0' code. I'm 99.99% sure it's not a memory issue as it's working perfectly and the board has dedicated debugging codes for memory issues (as seen in this manual on p. 133)
Also, the sound only appears after cutting the power supply and replugging it or leaving the PC off for about 12 hours. I should also say that it has happened two times that the beeping continued for about 20 seconds longer, I wasn't able to count but it was about 20-30 times and stopped the same way as in the video, with an 'A0' and a shutdown sound.

Is it still possible it is a memory issue? Gigabyte's RGB Control even properly controls its lights and the system shows the DIMMs as installed in 1/3.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Your manual recommends slots 2 and 4 for a dual channel memory configuration, page 17. Almost all motherboards do. I would try that and see if the beeping stops. I realize slots 1 and 3 will work but I have never seen it recommended as default.

Feb 5, 2019
Alright, I will try it later. Thank you for your suggestion!
I originally had it in 2/4 as well but while building I noticed that it would be harder to append later on so I decided to go with 1/3.

Can anyone confirm whether this is normal behavior at all? Perhaps this just some sound it does when booting from "cold" to indicate it is initializing something? I never had any interaction at all with high performing PCs like this, never mind a $270 motherboard. The motherboard only has one mention of 'beeping' (under the Front Panel Header Section:

"SPEAK (Speaker, Orange):
Connects to the speaker on the chassis front panel. The system reports system startup status by issuing
a beep code. One single short beep will be heard if no problem is detected at system startup."

The lack of any mention of beeping troubleshooting in its manual or FAQ leads me to believe that this behavior is normal or at least not indicative of anything malfunctioning. Anyone has this / a smiliar board and can confirm that they never experienced anything like this?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I may have read your post wrong. What do you mean by "it started beeping constantly". Does it beep more than once or stay on more than a split second upon startup? One single short beep after powering the computer on is totally normal, it just means you passed POST same thing for most mobo's.

If it beeps more than once or is just one long constant beep that is very likely an indication of some kind of problem. The beeps are codes, one long constant beep is a memory problem from what I can find. I wouldn't know where to begin diagnosing why it is doing that if that chart I linked is wrong and there is no apparent problem with the computer sorry to say.

Feb 5, 2019

The beeping constantly part was explained poorly, sorry for that. What I meant was that upon its very first boot, the motherboard beeped the same way as it did here. It showed a code which I remember indicated an initialization of I believe SHCI devices or some other kind of device, but I am 100% certain it was not an error code. We figured the beeping just indicated how long that process would take. Because it started beeping with the same frequency as in the video but steadily increased after about 15 seconds for a period of about 5 seconds and then, shortly before it reached a frequency at which the beeping would resemble one single sound, it restarted and worked perfectly normal.

I can confirm that the chart does not apply to our issue as I have found that the amount of beeps varies either randomly or is dependent on the PCs off-time. Just now, it was only off for about 9 hours and it only booted 2 times. When I restart it normally it won't beep at all. The latter theory leads me to believe the board just likes to beep while everything is prepared? I know it sounds weird but how is it possible that the visual debugging indicator says everything works fine, the PC actually works perfectly well and there is no mention of beeping in the board's manual nor anywhere else in the context of troubleshooting with this board?

Meanwhile I also tried reseting CMOS which didn't help (not surprising considering I had only changed the memory clock via XMP).

Thank you for your help!