[SOLVED] Z420 turns on for a second then turns off, 4 beeps ?

Jun 30, 2021
I am using a z420 motherboard and when I power it on it turns on for a second then shuts off, then continues with 4 beeps. This indicates a power failure, but I don't understand if its the power supply or the motherboard. I used the paper clip trick on my power supply and the fan spins. I don't know if my motherboard is the problem. Please help me.

Specs :

Mobo : HP Z420 Motherboard

CPU : Xeon E5 1620 v2

GPU : RX 580 4GB

The ram is ECC ram (16 GB)

PSU : Apevia 600 watt (I got the PSU on Amazon 7 or 8 months ago)
Heres the link to the PSU : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BX5TBJ2/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=AEHA1AAWZIC3L&psc=1

SSD: ADATA SU630 240GB (I think its halfway full, it has Windows 10 installed)

HDD : WL HDD 1TB (I got this on Ebay)

Last edited:
Solution
Damn it, its already 82 dollars.

Amazon didn't have a lot of those, as I said, it would have to be quickly!

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $44.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-02 01:51 EDT-0400

I wouldn't run a 3080 on this or anything, but this is about as cheap as you're ever likely to find that you should be comfortable with an RX 580.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include:

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Remember that a PSU provides three different voltages (3, 5, 12) to different components.

A failure to deliver the proper voltage(s) to any component for any amount of time will cause problems.

Jun 30, 2021

Include:

Remember that a PSU provides three different voltages (3, 5, 12) to different components.

A failure to deliver the proper voltage(s) to any component for any amount of time will cause problems.
I unplugged all the PSU cables from the components and only connected the Mobo and one case fan. The case fan and Mobo turned on for a few seconds but then turned off (the same 4 beeps followed)

Jun 30, 2021

Include:

Does this provide any information about the PSU?
Output: +3.3V@16A, +5V@20A, +12V@45A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2.5A
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BX5TBJ2/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=AEHA1AAWZIC3L&psc=1

Ralston18

Titan
Those values/voltages are the PSU's "specs". Likely determined and obtained by both design and possibly measurement under ideal circumstances.

Like many products, PSU's have a designed in EOL (End of Life). Eventually they will degrade and fail.

And the failure may be pre-mature, statistically as expected, or (for some lucky folks) go well beyond expectations.

Constant heavy use that demands high wattage output (gaming, video work, bit-mining) will likely end with a pre-mature failure of some sort.

Other factors include heat (dust and dirt build up, insufficient cooling, and incoming power issues) all can contribute to some end failure.

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) you can do some testing on the PSU.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages at or out of tolerance would indicate a PSU problem.

Like most devices the PSU may indeed test okay. However there could be some threshold value that once hit, crashes occur.

Or likewise, some "perfect storm" situation. That being a specific set (or sets) of circumstances that when they occur, again crashes.

Those circumstances can be tricky to discover.

DSzymborski

Titan
Good lord, that even has a voltage switch. In 2021.

This PSU should be replaced even if there were no problems, so replacing it and seeing if it resolves the issue is the obvious next step. Hopefully with something much better quality than this unit.

Jun 30, 2021
Good lord, that even has a voltage switch. In 2021.

This PSU should be replaced even if there were no problems, so replacing it and seeing if it resolves the issue is the obvious next step. Hopefully with something much better quality than this unit.
Can you recommend some PSU's that are good but do not cost a lot of money?

Jun 30, 2021
Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Damn it, its already 82 dollars.

Amazon didn't have a lot of those, as I said, it would have to be quickly!

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $44.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-02 01:51 EDT-0400

I wouldn't run a 3080 on this or anything, but this is about as cheap as you're ever likely to find that you should be comfortable with an RX 580.

Solution