Z87 or Z97 motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
If you can get a 4770k, I would save up just a bit more and get the 4790k if possible. However, you can go with the 4690k and upgrade later if you wish. The 4690k should still serve you quite well with regards to gaming. Four cores is still quite a bit of power. I would recommend getting the 4690k i5 and sinking the difference into a GPU such as a 780 6Gb version or a 780ti. Get the most powerful GPU that you can afford as the Asrock board only supports a single Nvidia card solution and it has limited Crossfire potential from AMD as the second slot only supports x4.

As for Wifi, I would suggest a card such as these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074&cm_re=wifi_card_pci-_-33-320-074-_-Product...

Jack-OF-Blades

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I have the possibility to afford an I7 4770K, but iwould have to go with a cheaper Z97 motherboard, like the ASRock Z97-PRO4 ( which seems to have everything i need).
I'm worrying about Hyperthreading because they begin to appear in the recommended requirement ( Watch dogs, but this one doesn't really count :p, Shadow of mordor for example) , and i just doesn't want to be in the position of people who went with a 2 Gb Gpu in 2014 ( i don't know if you understand what i mean, my english isn't very good ).

So about the wifi, what should i understand ?

Edit : Or, i can just go with the I5 4690k and upgrad elater thanks to the Z97 motherboard.

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
If you can get a 4770k, I would save up just a bit more and get the 4790k if possible. However, you can go with the 4690k and upgrade later if you wish. The 4690k should still serve you quite well with regards to gaming. Four cores is still quite a bit of power. I would recommend getting the 4690k i5 and sinking the difference into a GPU such as a 780 6Gb version or a 780ti. Get the most powerful GPU that you can afford as the Asrock board only supports a single Nvidia card solution and it has limited Crossfire potential from AMD as the second slot only supports x4.

As for Wifi, I would suggest a card such as these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074&cm_re=wifi_card_pci-_-33-320-074-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166076&cm_re=wifi_card_pci-_-33-166-076-_-Product

These are inexpensive cards that should do the job that you are seeking. As long as you get a card that supports both "G" and "N" you should be fine. The "G" support is nice as there are some places that are still running with Wireless "G." In the future you can upgrade to wireless AC which would net you much higher transfer speeds. However, that is really only useful in the situations where you have the need to transfer large amounts of data quickly or if you are streaming across your network in an intensive way such as using a Nvidia Shield. Wireless G is honestly still fast enough for most people when it comes to internet access as their connection is not fast enough to fully utilize it.

Solution