[SOLVED] Zallman Tower...On/Off/On/Off/On/Off

doxology

Honorable
Mar 22, 2016
hello...

[placing this thread here...not sure where else to start]...

Running a Zallman tower in my recording studio, w/ an RS-700-AMBA-D3 Silent Pro Cooler Master Power Supply. (see below for remainder of specs).

Turned it on this afternoon; & it started/shut off/started/shut off about 8X. On the next go-round...it stayed on, followed by a prompt which basically said that after several unsuccessful start-up attempts, do I wish to start in BIAS Mode?

Guess I made the wrong choice (NO), after which it will start/shut off indefinitely; & never stay on. I'm thinking it could be the PS or CMOS Battery...but does anyone here have any sort of experience w/ this sort of thing?

(I have to finish my current CD w/ this machine. If I go to a new machine, my UAD-1 system will need to be upgraded; & the pug-in xfer settings would take dozens & dozens of hours to implement)

thanx for any help,

MWF
Intel Core i7 2600 CPU
Intel Core i7 LGA1155 MoBo
8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD
Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD
Win 7 Professional 64-Bit
Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16
Universal Audio UAD-1
Cakewalk SONAR PE XI
Steinberg WaveLab 7
NI Komplete 5

Solution
I'm surprised to see that PSU remain in that system for this long, considering how horrible that PSU was even for the standards back in the day. You might want to source a replacement PSU that is reliably built and has at least 650W at the entire system's disposal and see if your issue is alleviated. You've also forgotten to mention the make and model of the motherboard. No discrete GPU in that build?

Lutfij

Titan
I'm surprised to see that PSU remain in that system for this long, considering how horrible that PSU was even for the standards back in the day. You might want to source a replacement PSU that is reliably built and has at least 650W at the entire system's disposal and see if your issue is alleviated. You've also forgotten to mention the make and model of the motherboard. No discrete GPU in that build?

Solution

doxology

Honorable
Mar 22, 2016
  1. Actually did mention the mobo...in the specs list below my name: Intel Core i7 LGA1155
  2. GPU is PNY GeForce GT330 1024M DDR3 (w/ no fan)...[this was a replacement for the original graphics card (GeForce 8400GS 256 MB) as installed by the builder (ADK Pro Audio)]
  3. I'm a tad leery as to PSU upgrade...[the major reason I didn't upgrade the machine itself is due to my UAD-1 audio plug-in system. The new machine I had my eye on only had one PCIe X1 slot left, meaning I would have to find a UAD-1 PCIe Expert card cheap on the internet; & it wouldn't work correctly unless it came w/ a final auth from UA, which they don't do anymore. If I went w/ that new machine, I would have had to upgrade to UAD-2...lotta money...& my old (UAD-1) plug-in settings wouldn't work]. Only rambling/over-elaborating here to let you know that I was told at that time that new mobos (in addition to newer PCI slots) are configured way differently after about 2015; & I don't wanna grab a new PSU if it won't work w/ my old mobo.
  4. Given what I've indicated what the symptoms are...will the paper clip test work for determining if that PSU is faulty?

hello...

[placing this thread here...not sure where else to start]...

Running a Zallman tower in my recording studio, w/ an RS-700-AMBA-D3 Silent Pro Cooler Master Power Supply. (see below for remainder of specs).

Turned it on this afternoon; & it started/shut off/started/shut off about 8X. On the next go-round...it stayed on, followed by a prompt which basically said that after several unsuccessful start-up attempts, do I wish to start in BIAS Mode?

Guess I made the wrong choice (NO), after which it will start/shut off indefinitely; & never stay on. I'm thinking it could be the PS or CMOS Battery...but does anyone here have any sort of experience w/ this sort of thing?

(I have to finish my current CD w/ this machine. If I go to a new machine, my UAD-1 system will need to be upgraded; & the pug-in xfer settings would take dozens & dozens of hours to implement)

thanx for any help,

MWF
Intel Core i7 2600 CPU
Intel Core i7 LGA1155 MoBo
8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD
Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD
Win 7 Professional 64-Bit
Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16
Universal Audio UAD-1
Cakewalk SONAR PE XI
Steinberg WaveLab 7
NI Komplete 5

Wow. That is a..... terrible PSU.

So, I would just replace the PSU with something that's not a door stop out of piece of mind. But this problem is likely motherboard related.

doxology

Honorable
Mar 22, 2016
So...

Pulled & then reinstalled the GPU. The first boot took 2X (which was weird), but every boot since then has been successful on the 1st attempt; & it seems tp be running OK.

MWF