Zalman Unveils A Holographic 3D Fan At Computex 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
I don`t like led fans, or led DDR memory, but that was cool!
Maybe 3D information about your pc temperature and other numericall information, or just have really cool graphical presentation about anything... dancer from the start wars, holographic Yoda giving lifetime advices. Really cool product!

SavageFist

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
That was a pretty cool demo. I could have sworn I've seen some videos with drones(you know since they have multiple 'fans')doing the same effect. That will make for some impressive advertising once it scales to larger sizes and other technical hurdles they may need to address.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

No pictures with it turned off?

I assume it has a USB interface?

Is there any data on the resolution?

What formats does it accept? What's the max length of the animations?

Any ETA on when it might be introduced?

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015

It will take a year or so before it goes into mass production and the price will be quite stiff, over 1k USD. The videos need to go through a special processing in order to be compatible with this fan. This is the only information that we were able to obtain.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Easy. The projector or led projector strobes the light to match the RPM of the fan. This makes the blades of the fan, seemingly not there.

It looks three dimensional as the fan is not flat. You are projecting light to a surface that is not flat. The content is 3D adding more to the illusion

stdragon

Admirable
I tried to find it, but back in the late 80's to early 90s, there was a prototype piece of hardware that essentially was a spinning helix (black) where lasers would project a dot. The timing would allow for a complete control and positioning of a single "pixel" along an XYZ plane. That "3D pixel" in fact is known as a voxel". If memory serves, it was to be pitched to the US Navy for 3D sonar imaging and whatnot and the medical industry as well.

I'm not sure if it's from the same company, or the intellectual property changed hands, but you can check out Voxon Photonics in the link below.

www.voxon.co

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Ah yes. If it was the 80's, it had to involve lasers. Pretty much mandatory for all new tech, back then.

That's interesting, but I'm suspecting this uses some kind of spinning OLED display overlaid with lenses that allow the device to project light in each direction from each position, over the course of a revolution. In other words, a lightfield display.

One catch is that you need to render the lightfield, which amounts to rendering a 2D image MxN times. So, it's pretty expensive.

stdragon

Admirable

Nah... Somehow you could do anything with Light Bright and a lot of time on your hands. j/k

I have no doubt it uses LED tech. You can see all sorts of examples of this being done on Youtube. Though, Zalman's implementation is far better IMHO. But if that previous response of it being a grand is true, no way. You can bet there will be countless Chinese knock-offs flooding the market thereafter. The real secret sauce will be in the software, and file format that you can upload to render the images.

Status
Not open for further replies.