[SOLVED] Zone alarm free

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Tried downloading this zone alarm free. Windows prevents it saying. Windows cannot verify the digital signature. This is a new windows installation and I don't use any of Microsoft antivirus or firewall software. What gives.

Solution
However you go out on a limb to protect and justify their behavior leads me to think that you are a FRAUD. A Microsoft employee in disguise. I would like to find out what others here think as you are the only one who has replied like this.

Not true, but feel free to believe whatever you want. No skin off my teeth.

As for Microsoft practices, I think they tend to program to the lowest common denominator; those (like my father) who have absolutely NO CLUE about computers, but (unlike my father) still want to use them. It's my belief that they code the OS this way to protect people who can accurately identify a keyboard and mouse nine times out of ten.

Personally, I hate it when a company like Microsoft tries to think for you...

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Yes but I do not have Windows (CRAP) firewall and Bill gates and his thugs should not have the power to prevent me going to a website. I live in the UK NOT CHINA.

In the UK we have supermarkets like you do in the US of A. I can't visit a supermarket using google chrome or Bill's IE. I can get their using firefox.

Are we under the control now of the MICROSOFT POLICE?

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're getting a Digital Signature issue while visiting a web site, that means the SSL certification on the web site has expired. That is an issue with the site owner; not Microsoft.
If you're getting a Digital Signature issue while attempting to install a software package, that is the security issue I mentioned above and that is from Microsoft. Here, I will remind you that you are not paying for ownership of the operating system. You are paying for the right to use THEIR operating system and they will implement security measures as they please.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Dean0919

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Thank you
Wolfshadw
for this. It is a shame that Microsoft own 99.9% of the world computers. Their is Linux but no way for most people to download and install it.

What would happen if Microsoft pulled the plug?????

I am using Windows 7(64) as not happy with the Microsoft snooping and updating police.

USAFRet

Titan
Tried downloading this zone alarm free. Windows prevents it saying. Windows cannot verify the digital signature. This is a new windows installation and I don't use any of Microsoft antivirus or firewall software. What gives.
Downloading from where?

I just downloaded it using FireFox and MS Edge, Win 10 Pro.
https://www.zonealarm.com/pc-protection
Zero issues.

"Windows" did not enter the picture.

USAFRet

Titan
I am using Windows 7(64) as not happy with the Microsoft snooping and updating police.
It is quite possible that the relevant Digital Certificates have not been updated in your now no longer updated Windows 7.
New signatures are part of what windows updates from time to time.
Your system no longer recognizes the new one that the ZA people have published.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Problem solved Mr Wolfshadw. I found a recent .exe of Zone alarm in my down loads folder. I ran it and got TOTAL success.

Just goes to show you. never delete your old downloaded files.

My guess is I could get a later version.

Do you work for Bill gates Microsoft by the way? Only asking!

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Just wondered. Most people here would have commented on the fact that. Microsoft interference with anyone wanting to download software like zone alarm. It would not be up to Microsoft to police the certificates of third party software as It would not be up to them what antivirus you use. Your own PC is your own private concern and if you were to screw it up by downloading any dodgy software then that would be your own problem. However you go out on a limb to protect and justify their behavior leads me to think that you are a FRAUD. A Microsoft employee in disguise. I would like to find out what others here think as you are the only one who has replied like this.

As stated. I have used an old exe from zone alarm....

zafwSetupWeb_151_504_17269

Which is now working fine.

USAFRet

Titan
As an addendum:
I downloaded that ZoneAlarm free at 0911 this morning.
Both Firefox and Edge. I closed the Edge instance right after that.

Just downloaded, not installed. They are just sitting in my DL folder.

At 1213, I get a popup window, in Edge, extolling the virtues of ZA, and that I should install it.
Not a chance.
Who are they to intrude on what my PC is doing?

USAFRet

Titan
Just wondered. Most people here would have commented on the fact that. Microsoft interference with anyone wanting to download software like zone alarm. It would not be up to Microsoft to police the certificates of third party software as It would not be up to them what antivirus you use. Your own PC is your own private concern and if you were to screw it up by downloading any dodgy software then that would be your own problem. However you go out on a limb to protect and justify their behavior leads me to think that you are a FRAUD. A Microsoft employee in disguise. I would like to find out what others here think as you are the only one who has replied like this.

As stated. I have used an old exe from zone alarm....

zafwSetupWeb_151_504_17269

Which is now working fine.
It's not 'fraud'. It is merely likely that your PC and its OS does not recognize the new published cert from ZA.
Not recognizing it, it is assumed false.

For the record, I am also not a Microsoft employee, or on their payroll in any way.

D

Deleted member 14196

If Microsoft ever pulled the plug, then I'd think about 80% of the companies that rely of MS would go under. The rest would make a successful transition to Linux and those of us familiar with Linux could charge about $250/hr in support services.

One can dream, anyway...

-Wolf sends
This would be nice

user needs to install the new root certificates

USAFRet

Titan
Your own PC is your own private concern and if you were to screw it up by downloading any dodgy software then that would be your own problem.
Further, "your PC" is not merely yours, but also connected to the entire internet.
Malware on "your PC" can do many many things that impact the rest of us.

The vast majority of email traffic (and the bandwidth it consumes) is spam. And most of that does not come directly from the spammers, but relayed via thousands of compromised systems, that are members in a botnet.

Wolfshadw

Titan
However you go out on a limb to protect and justify their behavior leads me to think that you are a FRAUD. A Microsoft employee in disguise. I would like to find out what others here think as you are the only one who has replied like this.

Not true, but feel free to believe whatever you want. No skin off my teeth.

As for Microsoft practices, I think they tend to program to the lowest common denominator; those (like my father) who have absolutely NO CLUE about computers, but (unlike my father) still want to use them. It's my belief that they code the OS this way to protect people who can accurately identify a keyboard and mouse nine times out of ten.

Personally, I hate it when a company like Microsoft tries to think for you.
Personally, I think that there should be a "Shut the hell up! I know what I'm doing!" setting in Windows.
And each time they do something screwed up, I lean closer and closer to making the full switch to Linux.

But that's just my opinion.
-Wolf sends

Solution

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Who uses ZoneAlarm nowadays? Haven't heard that name since the ages. I wouldn't trust ZoneAlaram more than Microsoft and the its behavior that USAFRet mentioned already raises the red flag for ZoneAlaram. They didn't even bother to update their digital certificates, now make a conclusion yourself and think twice if you still want to install this ZoneAlaram.

And OP, if you don't trust and don't like Microsoft so much, why are you even using Windows?

I really don't understand this category of people who constantly bash Windows and curse Microsoft whenever they have a chance, but still continue using their product. Makes no sense.