Question Zoom keeps crashing, Zoom logs in but no invites ?

Sep 1, 2021
What I've got:
Win10 updated to latest, no AV other than MS, Malwarebytes double check, hash for new software via VirusTotal

What I did:
Installed Zoom desktop.

What I expected to happen:

What actually happened:
Zoom keeps crashing, sometimes silently eg does not respond to clicks and/or signs in funny e.g. no access to Zoom invites, no record of invite in Zoom app history. Repeated sign-ins, same result, e.g. a loop. Tried restarting. Keeps crashing. Now at the uninstall stage, but will have to undelete app via win10 recovery to reinstall and access logs. Woops.

Any ideas or do we need the logs first?

Ralston18

Titan
What actual Windows 10 version?

Source for Zoom download? Try another download and reinstall just in case the Zoom desktop you installed was buggy and/or corrupted.

Look in Microsoft's Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may have captured some error code or warning that corresponds with the times that Zoom crashes.

Reactions: notaninja
Sep 1, 2021
Ah true, sorry, win10 version:
10.0.19043 Build 19043

Download source: https://zoom.us
Download hash checked: via https://virustotal.com

Logs: Nothing in Reliability History, and only one termination event in Event Viewer. However it did also show crashes via Adobe PDF Reader trying to connect with Zoom. Yes, there are open source PDF readers, still use them, I only have the Adobe version because it's the only one I've found which can give actual, accurate creation dates for PDF files (under properties ..explorer only gives date of download). But will uninstall Adobe for the moment and see if I can recreate the error or not - hopefully fix it !

PC: keyboard buggy. Shifting down the 'shift' key turns it into an auto-paste maniac, among other pecularities. Have run dozens of Defender, Malwarebytes, Hitmanpro without result apart from one tracking cookie, but this reminds me I should also do a malware test via Linux USB. New RAM and SSD from Crucial, which also reminds me need to do a overnight memtest!

Edit: will also reinstall Zoom again, now that Adobe is gone. Then run sfc / dism for the hell of it.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021
Still no logs.

If there were logs stored with the app they're either gone or I can't find them. I've since discovered major problems with my net, including latency up to 45,000 ms (45k ms) - that might have played a part in crashes?

But discovered that the biggest problem is CPU use skyrocketing to 100% usage when Zoom desktop opens. I have logged feedback with Zoom here:

Zoom app 100% CPU - Zoom Community

Seems from my research for that feedback? That more than a few people experiencing 100% CPU problem, links at link. Will report back! I've got this thread on email alert, so someone give me a nudge if I'm slow updating.