Question Zotac 1660 Super Twin Fan consuming 21 Watts in idle

amasoun

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
My system is i5 6500 , Gigabyte Z170, 12 gb DDR4 ram 2133 mhz , 240 gb SSD. I am using Windows7 64 bit for a reason. I just checked using HWiNFO and GPU-Z that my Graphics card is drawing 21watts during idle. It should be like 10watts.

Please provide the exact model number/brand of your current power supply unit/PSU.

Do you have any programs/apps running in the background even in idle desktop mode ? Any download or activity running ? What is the LOAD on the GPU usage in idle mode ?

Use the GPU-Z tool to again monitor all the parameters.

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Normal, my 2060 also used close to 20w which is a similar card to 1660 super perf/spec wise.
You probably recently have had some software change that makes this happen.

tinker with nvidia control panel, i remember I had a setting there that was causing high idle power usage, I cant be specific because I cant remember, but there was something there.

amasoun

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Normal, my 2060 also used close to 20w which is a similar card to 1660 super perf/spec wise.
You probably recently have had some software change that makes this happen.

tinker with nvidia control panel, i remember I had a setting there that was causing high idle power usage, I cant be specific because I cant remember, but there was something there.
Please let me know which setting are you talking about.

amasoun

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Please provide the exact model number/brand of your current power supply unit/PSU.

Do you have any programs/apps running in the background even in idle desktop mode ? Any download or activity running ? What is the LOAD on the GPU usage in idle mode ?

Use the GPU-Z tool to again monitor all the parameters.
i am sorry , i didn't see ur msg. I am using a CoolerMaster Thunder 450watts power supply which is kinda old. And GPU-Z tools says my GPU is idle and load is like 0 to 1%. Nothing graphic demanding runs in background I have confirmed. As I have stated already, after installing new drivers, power draw is now 16-17watts.

Then the power draw seems normal to me. Nothing to worry about much, unless the idle wattage was VERY high, or abnormal. If the GPU load is 0-1% I wouldn't worry much about this issue.

How does your PC perform in games ?

Although, not directly related to this issue at hand, but you are using a very budget low-end poor quality PSU, the CoolerMaster Thunder 450watts. 450 watts wouldn't matter much if it was a high quality and a reliable PSU.

This CoolerMaster Thunder is not even 80-Plus certified. These units are meant to be used on igpu/onboard graphics systems, or on a very low profile entry-level discrete GPU.

The 1660 Super is a mainstream GPU but it requires a good/high quality power unit. Your PSU model is a legacy SKU, and also non-80 plus according to this description:

amasoun

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Then the power draw seems normal to me. Nothing to worry about much, unless the idle wattage was VERY high, or abnormal. If the GPU load is 0-1% I wouldn't worry much about this issue.

How does your PC perform in games ?

Although, not directly related to this issue at hand, but you are using a very budget low-end poor quality PSU, the CoolerMaster Thunder 450watts. 450 watts wouldn't matter much if it was a high quality and a reliable PSU.

This CoolerMaster Thunder is not even 80-Plus certified. These units are meant to be used on igpu/onboard graphics systems, or on a very low profile entry-level discrete GPU.

The 1660 Super is a mainstream GPU but it requires a good/high quality power unit. Your PSU model is a legacy SKU, and also non-80 plus according to this description:

Okay, I shall upgrade my power supply. But my problem remains same. Almost.