Zotac ZBOX EN760 mini-PCs Have Maxwell, Haswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirKnobsworth

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
How can they be using "U" type processors with a discrete GPU? The "U" type processors don't have the high-bandwidth PCIe 3.0 GPU connection that the normal CPUs do.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
You don't need PCIe 3.0 for a discrete graphics card. Most graphics cards don't even get close to flooding PCIe 2.0. The tiny performance difference between PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0 is strictly from overhead reduction on PCIe 3.0.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
So what I'm really waiting for is 20nm gpu next year and 14nm to get a quad core cpu in there instead. Ultimate box is coming next year I guess..LOL. At that point I think they may get me as it would be basically all I need for a media player and tv game machine for REAL 1080p in everything for a while. I'd expect the 20nm maxwell version to up the perf substantially. Add a wireless mouse/keyboard and my old xbox360/logitech gamepad and I'm good to go. When you want to go lan partying this goes there also. I think we'll start seeing more lan parties soon...ROFL.

Having said that, anyone buying one of these should clearly go barebones and install your own 2TB ($85 newegg)+8GB ($72 newegg) for basically the same cost as the plus. Or Seagate 1TB ($55 newegg), and the same memory then go buy a few games from gog or steam with the leftover change. The 10 minutes to install this stuff is worth it and from the vid at hexus is very easy to do (two screws pops the top). $7 and 10 minutes is worth an extra TB in HD space IMHO. I wish they'd just make these a little bigger so you could go quad with a fan or something right now. Just another inch high should get a fan and more room to dissipate the heat. A dual core isn't going to be worth much for long even an Intel one. I wonder if it would take a broadwell later?

Status
Not open for further replies.