ZTE to Unveil High-End Smartphone at CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I really don't see the need for 8 cores considering that even the Quad cores for phones are still pretty low on the clock speeds. Didn't some of the US Samsung S3 models switch to a dual core that had a higher clock speed for something like this?

I would say once Quad core hits 2.0 GHz + then it would be the right time to start looking @ 6 or 8 cores in a new phone. I just don't see the end user enjoying a 8 core CPU on their smartphone with the current tech that is out there right now.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Gundam288[/nom]I really don't see the need for 8 cores considering that even the Quad cores for phones are still pretty low on the clock speeds. Didn't some of the US Samsung S3 models switch to a dual core that had a higher clock speed for something like this?I would say once Quad core hits 2.0 GHz + then it would be the right time to start looking @ 6 or 8 cores in a new phone. I just don't see the end user enjoying a 8 core CPU on their smartphone with the current tech that is out there right now.[/citation]

samsung used dual core processors the snapdragon s4 i believe it was in us vertion not for performance but due to production yeild problems and demand fo rthe phone. it does not perform as well as the galaxy s3 available in the rest of the world for this reason, clockspeed does nto equal performance remember the old days when amd had to put p ratings on their chips because they can slower clock speeds but performed as well as intel cpu's at much faster clock speeds

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]daraginglunatic[/nom]Sorry, I'm just not feeling that smartphones need 8-cores![/citation]
Keyword: "Yet"

They will need a LOT more RAM, though.

I have to wonder if something like a Surface Phone is coming in the future from Microsoft, which can project a usable keyboard onto a table and project an image onto a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.