Zuckerberg: Facebook Building a Phone Wouldn't Make Sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

of course that doesn't make any sense. faceboook couldn't even make a better website. a phone would be too much for them.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
What can a facebook phone do that a normal phone with facebook can't? Android is so open that there is no reason for FB to go into the complexities of making a facebook phone.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
if building a phone doesn't make sense then why in the hell can't I remove the stupid facebook app from my phone?....i guess they need a proprietary phone after all...such hypocrisy

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]What can a facebook phone do that a normal phone with facebook can't? Android is so open that there is no reason for FB to go into the complexities of making a facebook phone.[/citation]
android isn't really all that open...if it was then we could removed all the crap we don't need in the same way we don on computers

IMO facebook will be all downhill from now. I'm not trying to say it's going to completely fail, but I think eventually it will just become another Yahoo (where it used to be massively popular, and now they are just floundering/getting by).

Even though they have a lot of users, people are starting to turn their attention to other things now. Not to mention their IPO fiasco didn't really help their image.

Even though Toms has a facebook icon on their website (as does nearly every website these days it seems), I don't bother using FB anymore. I would rather see my friends face to face then chat/post on some website where all the data can be seen if you don't have proper security settings set.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]fgs76453[/nom]of course that doesn't make any sense. faceboook couldn't even make a better website. a phone would be too much for them.[/citation]
maybe they can make a toy phone

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Yeah, I never understood all these rumors of a "Facebook phone." It's a big leap to go from FB working with engineers that have worked on/within phones to "ZOMG, FB is making a phone!!!"

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I find this rumor a little odd. Sure Garmin made a phone, but why a social network? Since Facebook has been working with Apple in adding true integration, what's the point for creating a separate device? Speculating that someone else may manufacture and design a "Facebook Phone" seems a little farfetched.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]android isn't really all that open...if it was then we could removed all the crap we don't need in the same way we don on computers[/citation]
Blame the carriers for that, they are the ones who insist on making those apps non-removable.

superp

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
But isn't that something a company like facebook at this size and stage would all eventually do ... ... "things that don't make any sense" ?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Blame the carriers for that, they are the ones who insist on making those apps non-removable.[/citation]
lol...let's sue them

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]android isn't really all that open...if it was then we could removed all the crap we don't need in the same way we don on computers[/citation]

Generic Linux Android OS, by OHA, is pretty open. The vendors, such as VZ & ATT get a hold of it and basically make a "fork" of the OS that you are seeing on a phone. That fork is locked down, while gaining root access will alleviate that somewhat.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]if building a phone doesn't make sense then why in the hell can't I remove the stupid facebook app from my phone?....i guess they need a proprietary phone after all...such hypocrisy[/citation]

just root the damn phone, or use a custom rom on it, its a friggin computer anyway that has the added feature of having a GSM part in it, compare it like running a windows pc that you don't have Administrator privileges to. If you are to backwards to figure out how to use SuperOneClick or any other vairant that is out there go to a friend or a shop that is willing to do it. Also there are a ton of Custom roms for most phones that work better then the original (Cyanogen, Oxygen, MiUi etc) find one that has the most feedback and use it, im not saying jump the boat and run ICS on a gingerbread phone that does't have a factory made ICS, no way no how you going to be totally satisfied then, but trimmed down version of the original rom works wonders most of the time.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

Buy a Nexus phone, or root your existing phone. Android is open enough you can 'chose' a manufacturer and phone carrier that does not load up the phone with crap-ware.

[citation][nom]Chainzsaw[/nom]IMO facebook will be all downhill from now. I'm not trying to say it's going to completely fail, but I think eventually it will just become another Yahoo (where it used to be massively popular, and now they are just floundering/getting by).Even though they have a lot of users, people are starting to turn their attention to other things now. Not to mention their IPO fiasco didn't really help their image.Even though Toms has a facebook icon on their website (as does nearly every website these days it seems), I don't bother using FB anymore. I would rather see my friends face to face then chat/post on some website where all the data can be seen if you don't have proper security settings set.[/citation]
For the most part I would agree with you, but most of my friends (especially my oldest friends) tend to live very mobile life-styles (moving for jobs, schools, deployments, opportunities, for the hell of it, etc.), and FB has been an excellent tool to keep up with their lives. But yes, for my local friends, I would much rather just give them a call or text to set up a time to meet and hang out.

Also, I think FB stated going down hill a year or so ago. The demand for another social network is so strong that I am amazed as how hard Google+ failed. When rumor of it started then it seemed like everyone I knew (myself included) were ready to jump ship and move over. Sadly, all of our families and less tech-savvy friends did not make the jump, and so we have all slowly migrated back over to FB again.

Is Zuckerberg smocking crack? If a popular social network where the mass majority of users reach a lowest common denominator of posting pictures of silly cats were to release a phone then a large portion of those users would switch over 'just to have it'. The phone could be absolute crap, but if it is blue with a white F on it then it would sell like hotcakes to a host of users who simply would not know any better.

I mean, how much free publicity would they get just by people who post 'I just gotz my FB Fone, itz sweets!!! :D :p :D' (sorry, but that is my best impression possible of a FB user....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts