[SOLVED] ZX-H61C VRMs overheating

Nov 3, 2020
Recently upgraded from an i5-3470 to an i7-3770k, this motherboard (ZX-H61C) doesn't support overclocking or downvolting, it does support the i7-3770k and the temperature of the processor stands below 65C at most times even under load. however the VRMs seem to overheat and things start to freeze under high load unless i open the case' fans and let some cool air in through my window.
My PSU is an 80 plus gold Mars Gaming 650 Watt, GPU is a GTX 1050Ti STRIX.
What should i do?

Solution
That is a pretty wimpy board.
-agree. And VRM doesn't look that appealing either (for i7-3770K ):
IVUn1JjrmeYUEJsJ_500.jpg

So what you can do? Well, you can mount a small 40mm fan pointing directly to VRM. Yes, will add some noise, but is a cheap solution worth to try.
Other than that... try to find some better mobo is all I can suggest.
Why do you think it's the VRMs?
If it IS the VRMs overheating under load and causing problems I think about the only thing you can do is keep them cool...or not put them under load....or get a new motherboard.
....but I'm also thinking what you are describing could be also caused by a bad PSU or even a hot GPU.

kanewolf

Titan
Recently upgraded from an i5-3470 to an i7-3770k, this motherboard (ZX-H61C) doesn't support overclocking or downvolting, it does support the i7-3770k and the temperature of the processor stands below 65C at most times even under load. however the VRMs seem to overheat and things start to freeze under high load unless i open the case' fans and let some cool air in through my window.
My PSU is an 80 plus gold Mars Gaming 650 Watt, GPU is a GTX 1050Ti STRIX.
What should i do?
What is your CPU cooler? If it is an AIO then that may be why your VRMs are overheating.
Test by running with the side panel off. That will ensure you don't have any airflow limitations.

Nov 3, 2020
What is your CPU cooler? If it is an AIO then that may be why your VRMs are overheating.
Test by running with the side panel off. That will ensure you don't have any airflow limitations.
My CPU cooler is a pure rock 2 from be quiet, i already tested the side panels off, and there was no freezing with cool air coming in from outside my window, and nothing else in the system is overheating, i disabled hyperthreading and the issue went away but only like halfway, it was still doing it

Nov 3, 2020
Why do you think it's the VRMs?
If it IS the VRMs overheating under load and causing problems I think about the only thing you can do is keep them cool...or not put them under load....or get a new motherboard.
....but I'm also thinking what you are describing could be also caused by a bad PSU or even a hot GPU.
I'm pretty sure it's the VRMs because everything else in the system isnt overheating as far as i know, the gpu also sits under 60 even while at load, i dont think its the psu since its a 80 plus gold but i could be mistaken

Nov 3, 2020
I'm pretty sure it's the VRMs because everything else in the system isnt overheating as far as i know, the gpu also sits under 60 even while at load, i dont think its the psu since its a 80 plus gold but i could be mistaken
gpu runs at 70% fanspeed most of the time btw

If the GPU sits under 60C at load I think you may be correct about the VRMs....and being it doesn't freeze with the case open...I think the case being open would tend to cool the VRMs more than it would cool the PSU. Although I still think it's possible it's the PSU.