Question Boot/Freeze problem with GPU/PSU?

Apr 22, 2024
Problem:

Built a new PC, sometimes it boots, and sometimes it freezes at the GIGABYTE loading screen. When it boots I don't have any problems. Booting without my RTX 4070 works 10/10 times. Booting with it boots my PC 2/10 times, the other times it gets stuck on the GIGABYTE logo with the circle spinning. I managed to stress test GPU/CPU for 20 minutes when I managed to boot and no issues. PC doesn't run hot at all. I thought maybe its the GPU so I used my previous GPU an RTX 3070. With the RTX 3070 my PC boots 10/10 times. Now I thought the problem is my RTX 4070. I plugged my RTX 4070 in a different computer, and there it works 10/10 times. I tried formatting my PC, I thought maybe something was wrong with the OS/Drivers, but the issue still exists. I tried switching the power cables to my GPU. I used a 6+2 pin +8 pin connector once and a single 8 pin connector and the freezes still happen.

Things I tried, but didn't help:
Flashing BIOS to newest version
Updating all drivers
Formatting PC (Twice once with MCT for Win 10, second time with RUFUS for win 11)
Using other PSU PCIE cable
Disabling iGPU
Using different PCIE SLOT
Clearing CMOS

PC SPECS:
GIGABYTE B650 Gaming X AX Rev 1.5 (Version F23)
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 WINDFORCE OC 12G
Ryzen 7 7800x3D
CORSAIR RM750x Shift Fully Modular GOLD 80+ 750W
G.Skill Flare X5 Series F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5 2x16 GB
Lian Li O11 Vision
Samsung 980 PRO
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 A-RGB
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zWVzL9

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

BIOS version for your motherboard? Did you clear the CMOS after you'd verified that the BIOS was successfully flashed to the latest version? Where did you source the installer for the OS?
Sorry I should've included this in my post. I have cleared CMOS after installing newest BIOS version. I have verified that it's flashed to the newest version F23

I formatted the PC twice. First time using the Mediacreationtool to install WIN 10 on my USB stick. The second time I used RUFUS to install WIN 11 on the USB stick.

Apr 22, 2024
Sorry I should've included this in my post. I have cleared CMOS after installing newest BIOS version. I have verified that it's flashed to the newest version F23

I formatted the PC twice. First time using the Mediacreationtool to install WIN 10 on my USB stick. The second time I used RUFUS to install WIN 11 on the USB stick.
Recheck your bios version. Latest one i see is F24A. Also is there a power supply wattage difference between the two pcs?

Also check your chipset drivers and everything else. Looks like a lot came out this month across the board that needs updated. Also one thing you can try.. Swap the PSUs. Since you have the one computer thats working flawlessly with the 4090 put that on the other build. That will eliminate one of the "possible problems"

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024
To me it sounds like you hit the nail on the head with power issues.

Unlikely you are bumping up against the limits of the PSU at startup, but there is something going on there.

Ensure you are supplying the additional CPU power on your motherboard.

If all fails and you have access I would try another PSU.

Apr 22, 2024
Recheck your bios version. Latest one i see is F24A. Also is there a power supply wattage difference between the two pcs?

Also check your chipset drivers and everything else. Looks like a lot came out this month across the board that needs updated. Also one thing you can try.. Swap the PSUs. Since you have the one computer thats working flawlessly with the 4090 put that on the other build. That will eliminate one of the "possible problems"
You were right, a BIOS update came out a couple days ago. I just updated the BIOS and used DDU to uninstall all drivers, and then re-installed all of them. The freezing at boot is still happening. Both PSUs are 750w.

Apr 22, 2024
To me it sounds like you hit the nail on the head with power issues.

Unlikely you are bumping up against the limits of the PSU at startup, but there is something going on there.

Ensure you are supplying the additional CPU power on your motherboard.

If all fails and you have access I would try another PSU.
CPU power is connected. The problem with the PSU is that it probably wouldn't draw that much power during start up, and the RTX 3070 that I have draws a little bit more power than my RTX 4070.

Apr 22, 2024
You were right, a BIOS update came out a couple days ago. I just updated the BIOS and used DDU to uninstall all drivers, and then re-installed all of them. The freezing at boot is still happening. Both PSUs are 750w.
Just do me a favor and swap the psu. That will elim if there is a possible problem with the one psu that you arent seeing on the 3070. could be a voltage dump or anything under load. Once you swap that, then we people can suggest other solutions.

Reactions: SimTechPro
Apr 22, 2024
CPU power is connected. The problem with the PSU is that it probably wouldn't draw that much power during start up, and the RTX 3070 that I have draws a little bit more power than my RTX 4070.
Yeah I wasn't sure but I thought the 3070 might. In that case I would definitely try a different PSU just to be sure. At this point you're either in PSU or Mobo territory it sounds like since you can get the 3070 and 4070 to work on another rig.