Question Does Warranty apply

Status
Not open for further replies.

tungleboomps

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
A neighbor, who dropped his 17" laptop down into the stairwell, said it not only dropped but bounced, then spun out into the air, only to fall down another 30 cement steps to land upside down into a washing machine full of cold, dirty, soapy water.
I guess the question is; will ASUS guarantee that laptop spite the fact it was the owner who dropped it, leaving it in a mangled mess with the screen twisted half off. My thought was to contact ASUS, but it seems he's a bit embarrassed to report it. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
If you wreck your car, do you expect it to be covered by the car manufacturer's warranty? No, because it is not their fault you broke it--that's what insurance is for.

Fortunately, your neighbor may well be insured--inquire if they have homeowner's or renter's insurance which normally does cover such accidents.

Reactions: tungleboomps
A neighbor, who dropped his 17" laptop down into the stairwell, said it not only dropped but bounced, then spun out into the air, only to fall down another 30 cement steps to land upside down into a washing machine full of cold, dirty, soapy water.
I guess the question is; will ASUS guarantee that laptop spite the fact it was the owner who dropped it, leaving it in a mangled mess with the screen twisted half off. My thought was to contact ASUS, but it seems he's a bit embarrassed to report it. Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Lol. Ask your neighbor what would happen if he sold a vase to someone. that someone broke it and asked for new one.

tungleboomps

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Of course I never witnessed this scenario, but what are the chances of dropping a laptop down a stairwell, and it ending up inside a washing machine full of water? Would that not agitate anyone? Having not been witness to this episode before or after, maybe I should not have even posted this, since it could be a 'strung along story.'

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
It all depends on the terms of agreement within the coverage. E.g. AppleCare+, or whatever it’s called, provides coverage (with limitations) if you flush your AirPods down the toilet.

So I guess your neighbour should read the fine print in that piece of paper that usually floats away when unpacking a laptop.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Of course I never witnessed this scenario, but what are the chances of dropping a laptop down a stairwell, and it ending up inside a washing machine full of water? Would that not agitate anyone? Having not been witness to this episode before or after, maybe I should not have even posted this, since it could be a 'strung along story.'
It reads almost like one of those old "Looney Toon" Wile E. Coyote skits.

Check to see if they bought the accidental damage warranty, if they did, cool you should be good. If not, ehhhhh yeah i don't think they'll fix that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.