Question Graphics Card?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 30, 2024
GRAPHICS CARD
I’m looking for some advice to upgrade my pc to be the best gaming pc it can. I have an asrock A320M-HDV r4.0 board with 16GB DDR4 ram My processor is Athlon 3000G. And my graphics slot is PCIe3x16
I’m looking at upgrading to at least a Ryzen 7 and want to know which graphics card is best for my system. Can I run a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X card on the upgraded processor with my current other components (also I have a 4TB ssd)

Usually they’ll have an older version if they’ve sat a while in the store or warehouse so I’d expect the bios to be a couple versions behind.

But being a 500 series board I would think it would be supported from the factory. I don’t remember seeing that bios version listed for that board if I was looking at the right board. May be worth chatting with their tech support if it won’t boot with the new cpu.

Apr 30, 2024
To be honest I waited about 10 minutes, the fan was working, ram was lit up etc, no screen. I may have had the display plugged into the board instead of the graphics card? I’ve got the displays plugged into the graphics card now so I assume the driver is properly installed for that. I’ll try to swap over the processor to the Ryzen 7 and see if it bits up. Should I wait a while for it to update to the new cpu?

Apr 30, 2024
Looking at the board manual again, there’s a software utility called ‘dragon centre’ that will update to the latest bios, amongst other things, I’ll check that out before I proceed, I’ll also double check the graphics driver is properly installed and good to go

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Looking at the board manual again, there’s a software utility called ‘dragon centre’ that will update to the latest bios, amongst other things, I’ll check that out before I proceed, I’ll also double check the graphics driver is properly installed and good to go
Those applications can be "hit or miss" in terms of helping.

The motherboard requires 7C96v19 or newer for the BIOS version. Your installed version is newer than that, so you should be good to go:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/A520M-A-PRO/support#cpu

Did you make any changes to BIOS settings with the Athlon installed? If so, you may need to reset the BIOS to default as part of installing the 5700X.

Lol. I know right? Sometimes it’s more fun putting a build together than actually using it. Kind of like working on a hot rod or something.

Even though I don’t need a pc right now, I find myself shopping for cheap prebuilt PCs or used parts to see what can be put together and upgraded cheap. It can be fun to resurrect old systems beyond what they were ever meant to do lol.