Question I need advice on choosing headphones ?

May 7, 2024
Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting new headphones to replace my Arctis 3. My main concern is music quality, looking for something that delivers unmatched clarity. I mainly listen to K-pop on Spotify and Apple Music, and I also play some FPS games like Valorant and CS2. I was initially considering the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm with the iFi hip dac v1, but I also came across the Corsair Virtuoso RGB. I've seen reviews stating that they have really good sound quality, they're HiFi, have a built-in microphone, which I'd also need to purchase separately in the case of buying Beyerdynamic, and they don't require a DAC/AMP.

Could someone experienced in sound equipment advise me? As someone who hasn't dealt with higher-quality gear before and isn't satisfied with the current sound of music tracks, which option would be the best? Is it worth paying an extra $110 for the Beyerdynamic set, or will the Corsair provide sufficiently amazing experiences? My motherboard is the AORUS Gigabyte B560 Elite, and from my research, it's powered by the Realtek ALC897 chipset. Additionally, if it has any additional impact,

I would consider purchasing something like the Fiio e10k in the near future. Finally, I'd like to add that I'm only considering these two models, and the DAC/AMP must not require additional power, it needs to be something portable so I can use it on the go. I haven't found anything better in terms of price than the option from iFi.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Sennheiser hd 280 pro are pretty good which they brought back. I had the original long ago until it broke.

One thing about onboard audio is sound can be quite bland without an equaliser, not like avrs. Realtek should have an equaliser so hopefully you can use it. If you can, try the V method from left to right. Left being low frequency, mids and then high towards the right, adjusting decibels for each frequency to your liking.

I own the Corsair Virtuoso and they are a great headset. Comfortable with good battery life and a great microphone. Really have no faults, though I did end up replacing them with the Audeze Maxwell.

The sound quality of the Maxwell is amazing! As expected from Audezes many, many years in making planar drivers. Clean highs, crisp lows, and great soundstage for a closed-back. Also, the are very accurate for distinguishing sound locations in game. They are a bit on the heavy side and this may an issue for some. The battery life is ridiculous. They are rated for 80+ hours between charges. I have no want to test that, but I've charged them twice since receiving in mid December.

The only gripe I have(and it's well known) is the audible background noise when sidetone is enabled. It's not really of concern while gaming because it's rarely ever dead quiet. But, when I use them for meetings, the noise just eats at me. It's more of a me problem, as some may not even notice.

tl;dr the Virtuoso are great the Maxwell are better.