Question New Build GPU help- ASRock Steel Legend OC Radeon RX 7900 GRE - Keeps turning off

Apr 24, 2024
Looking for some help before I return the card. First time building a PC. For whatever reason the GPU turns off within a few seconds after booting up. I am new to PC building so looking for some trouble shooting guidance. Most advice I found on the web notes that the card may be underpowered. I currently have 2 dedicated PCIe (6+2 pin) running from the Corsair 850e PSU. Not sure if it matters but one of the cables has a "pig tail" or a dual port. I just leave the second unplugged. The second PCIe has not pig tail. I have removed the GPU and used the Ryzen 5 7600X graphics capabilities to install windows. I have also downloaded the Adrenalin software in the hopes it was a driver issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE WHITE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: ASRock Steel Legend OC Radeon RX 7900 GRE 16GB
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at this moment of time? As for your PSU concerns, you could source(borrow, not buy) a higher wattage, similarly reliably built unit and see if that brings up any hiccups. If the donor PSU doesn't exhibit any issues, then your limiter was the PSU.

If you think it's a driver issue, use DDU in Safe Mode, remove all GPU drivers(Intel, Nvidia and AMD) then manually install the latest driver sourced from AMD's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Many newcomers have made this mistake but did you remove the protective plastic peel under the cooler's contact plate;
View: https://youtu.be/Bw9Q7TAx27o?t=174

?

Apr 24, 2024
Thanks for the reply. I am using the BIOS that came preinstall 2.02. I am not sure what DDU in Safe Mode is but will investigate. Is it possible to install the GPU driver while the GPU is not plugged in? I have removed it and am using the Ryzen 5 7600X graphics capabilities. Also when I downloaded Adrenalin SW would that not have loaded all the necessary drivers.

Sorry bit of a noob here :)

Reboot into safe mode and run. Then reinstall latest video drivers:).

Apr 24, 2024
Where would I get the latest drivers for my GPU. AMD only has the Adrenalin SW that auto detects the your hardware and then installs it.

So if am understanding the steps:
- All with the GPU not connected to the mobo (as in sitting in it's package)
- Download latest driver sourced from AMD's support site (although not sure how I get this)
- Run DDU in safe mode - remove graphics driver. Question - wouldn't this mess with graphics on my Ryzen 5 7600X
- Go back to normal mode and install latest driver
- Shutdown - install GPU plug DVI into GPU and reboot

Let me know if I am missing anything and thanks for all the help

Note I have now updated the BIOS to the most recent version

You should be able to go to amd.com, resources and support, downloads, under the Radeon graphics area go to drivers then you should be able to get the latest driver. I’m on my phone so I could be a bit off.

But if the card keeps having issues, you will occasionally get a bad card with any brand. Experienced this when I first got an rx 6600xt a couple of years ago. Returning the card for a new one fixed it.

Apr 24, 2024
Well I thought I would circle back - just in case someone can help and if other in the future have the same issue...

Received the replacement GPU - same issue turns off after booting into windows, But I have narrowed down the issue - the PC is using the CPU's CPU (iGPU) not the 7900 GRE as the primary graphics source. If I plug into the motherboard Displayport I get a picture, while nothing when plugged into the 7900 GRE's port. The odd thing is that the 7900 GRE is being used via the mobo input. I played Fort nite at max settings and saw the 7900 GRE fans start spinning and followed it's performance stats on the Adrenaline SW

Why would my PC default to the iGPU - shouldn't this work out of the box just plug into the 7900 GRE port and off we go? Very frustrating. I suspect I am leaving performance on the table plugging into the mobo port vs the GRE's port.

I have all the latest drivers and BIOS. Hoping for a solution that will restore the system as it should have been set up. Want to avoid the use of some off workaround.

Why won't it work

Apr 24, 2024
It was the monitor :oops: I have an older monitor 1680x1050 - a Dell (Jun 2013) . Switched it with a new 1080P and bang action. Not sure why an older monitor wouldn't work on the GPU and ok on the iGPU - but that's the end of this tale. We were planning to buy my son a monitor for his B-day and use the old one until then.

Anyways hope this helps someone down the road - check the monitor. Thank you all for the support and listening to me complain :)