Question Transferring data from intel installed windows boot ssds to a new system

rebpc23

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
I'd like to upgrade my pc only keeping its case, ssd's and psu. I have two ssds with windows installed on both.

Would it be safe to transfer images, installers, data files, from my two bootable ssds with win 10 installed, to a the new ssd/win install in the new system? Would the new system cpu being Intel instead of Ryzen avoid potential issues doing this?

I have been given multiple answers; that it's no harm to do this, so long as i dont boot from or launch programs from the old ssds. On the other hand been told that it's risky and to be safe I must back-up then reformat my current ssds to remove current windows install, to safely transfer desired data into to the new system.

Let me know your thoughts on this. If highly recommended I will get an additional drive to facilitate the transfer, I'd prefer to put all available budget into the new mobo/cpu/gpu though.

Thank you so much

rebpc23

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
The safest, easiest way is to Copy all of those files (not folders) to an inexpensive flash drive of appropriate size.

Then, simply connect that drive to the new system and copy to the relevant locations.
Thank you. I suppose that implies there would be risk/issues contrary to doing that?

Could I not format/ one of my SSD's and reload data only to facilitate part of the transfer to the new system, just like a flash/external drive? Or does that carry risk as well by being formatted on an intel PC? Even if transferring to new intel system?

What is the issue of copying folders? For instance download or pictures folder?

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you. I suppose that implies there would be risk/issues contrary to doing that?

Could I not format/ one of my SSD's and reload data only to facilitate part of the transfer to the new system, just like a flash/external drive? Or does that carry risk as well by being formatted on an intel PC? Even if transferring to new intel system?

What is the issue of copying folders? For instance download or pictures folder?
The "Folder" thing, is due to permissions.
The Documents/Pictures/Download/etc Libraries are locked to the user in the old OS.
Copying those to a new system, you run into permission issues.

The files within those Libs do not have those permissions.

While you can get around that permission thing in the new PC, much much easier to not have to deal with it at all.
Copy just the files.

Could you do the same with one of your SSD's? Sure.

rebpc23

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
The "Folder" thing, is due to permissions.
The Documents/Pictures/Download/etc Libraries are locked to the user in the old OS.
Copying those to a new system, you run into permission issues.

The files within those Libs do not have those permissions.

While you can get around that permission thing in the new PC, much much easier to not have to deal with it at all.
Copy just the files.

Could you do the same with one of your SSD's? Sure.
Ok thanks.

So by /etc libraries you mean literally any folder on the pc regardless of path, even something like C:/Games/game_installer.exe?
C:/pics/picture.jpg?
What if the folders were newly created on the formatted drives or flash drives, then filled with the files? Would that be ok?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Ok thanks.

So by /etc libraries you mean literally any folder on the pc regardless of path, even something like C:/Games/game_installer.exe?
C:/pics/picture.jpg?
What if the folders were newly created on the formatted drives or flash drives, then filled with the files? Would that be ok?
No.

Just the default Windows Libraries.
Documents
Pictures
Videos
Music
Downloads
Desktop

Things you created are just fine.