‘VRChat’ Is A Social Platform, A Developer Sandbox, And A Step In The Right Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
This could take a big chunk of AltSpace's users if devs build some compelling content.
AltSpace would only have the advantage of their celebrity appearances, which tend to happen too late for people who aren't on the west coast anyway.

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012

Actually, VR Pill had mentioned that Justin Roiland made an visit to VRChat earlier this week. If celebrity appearances is all it takes to entice you, they got it ;-)

bloodroses

Distinguished
This looks similar to what Second Life was. That was an ambitious project that ended up a flop. We'll see if the addition of VR to the formula makes the difference.

Jeremy_NM

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Second Life is already making a new version for VR which they call Sansar. Not sure why that wasn't mentioned in this article considering how committed they have been to making social VR and open community driven development through their tools.

Georg Rauh

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015
This is sooooooo superior to AltSpace it's not even funny. It's NO CONTEST, not even remotely. The advantage that AltSpace has is simply that they coded for cross-platform, aka that they get all the mobile and GearVR users which currently the large majority of VR users.
I really don't want to talk "bad" about AltSpace, but the few times I am still on A/S, like when there is a good music event etc and I see new people coming and being all overwhelmed, I wonder what those people would say seeing VRChat. I guess it would blow their mind. It has blown mine because it is really, really excellent.

Georg Rauh

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015
This is sooooooo superior to AltSpace it's not even funny. It's NO CONTEST, not even remotely. The advantage that AltSpace has is simply that they coded for cross-platform, aka that they get all the mobile and GearVR users which currently the large majority of VR users.
I really don't want to talk "bad" about AltSpace, but the few times I am still on A/S, like when there is a good music event etc and I see new people coming and being all overwhelmed, I wonder what those people would say seeing VRChat. I guess it would blow their mind. It has blown mine because it is really, really excellent. THIS alone is worth getting a Rift or Vive. (And believe me, I have seen MOST what is out there already for VR and this includes VR social apps).

Status
Not open for further replies.