Question “Sparky”sound that seems happening at random - ASUS TUF GAMING 750W

Oct 24, 2021
Hello everyone,
First of all - sorry for making thread similar to hundreds others. I tried my best to found exact same issue but unfortunately most of them lacks recorded sound so I’m not sure if anyone had exactly same problem as me.

Anyway, week ago I bought brand new PC. Sometimes when turning it on, there’s buzzing, sparky-like sound coming from inside, pretty sure it’s from PSU. Other times, it appears at random during usage. And one time there was buzz after turning PC off. It’s not constant humming or something like that - it’s short, 1-2 seconds long and it’s loud enough for me to be concerned about it, but not terribly loud. It’s not consistent - today I thought it repaired itself because I was turning on/off my PC few times without any buzz, but eventually it happened again.

I tried different surge protectors and outlets (grounded) - eventually it happened in every case. I tried to make stress tests in Prime95 and Furmark with Hwinfo opened to see if there’s voltage spikes - nope. Here’s my specs:

CPU: i5 10600K
GPU: RTX 3070 Ti
PSU; ASUS TUF GAMING 750W (bronze)
Motherboard: MSI Z490 Gaming Plus
RAM: 2x 16GB 3200MHz Crucial Ballistix
Storage: NvMe PCIe Crucial P5 1TB M.2

And most importantly - sound recording (uploaded on wetransfer) . Noise happens around mid of recording, it’s little louder than it sounds irl.

https://we.tl/t-enYZ9c3Jyg

If urls are forbidden I’ll try something else.

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
3070 Ti and a 10600K probably warrant an A tier Gold power supply or better. That being said, I have no idea what's going on with the noise from your current unit but it wouldn't sit right with me. Doesn't seem like coil whine. Did you build this PC or buy it pre-built?

Oct 24, 2021
Just after I wrote last post I went to room with PC and heard that noise (and it suddenly stopped just when I got closer to PC, to annoy me even more :sneaky:). Anyway, this is what concern me most - those noises when PC is turn off - because there's minimal power usage and still there's something wrong. It also interesting that when PC is on stress mode (benchmarking or just playing games) nothing like that happens (or maybe I can't hear it because of fans).

Last edited: