[SOLVED] 1 Case Fan has just stopped working unless I smack it

FrannyPanny

Prominent
Apr 3, 2020
One of my exhaust case fans has suddenly either stops working on boot up and only starts working once I hit the case or the fan to give it some spin to start. This happened suddenly after one day when I booted up my PC. Any clue to what's going on here?

Solution
If the fan is connected to the motherboard, it may be a 3 pin fan that is controlled by voltage regulation.
If the motherboard fan profile does not give a fan at least 5v, it will not start.
A nudge can overcome this.
Look in your motherboard fan profile settings and make certain that there is a sufficiently high setting to start with.

If the fan is pwm, it is controlled by voltage pulses and is likely defective or not plugged in securely.
If the fan is connected to the motherboard, it may be a 3 pin fan that is controlled by voltage regulation.
If the motherboard fan profile does not give a fan at least 5v, it will not start.
A nudge can overcome this.
Look in your motherboard fan profile settings and make certain that there is a sufficiently high setting to start with.

If the fan is pwm, it is controlled by voltage pulses and is likely defective or not plugged in securely.

Solution