Question 1 long beep, 2 short beeps then boots but no display MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon

iClarity

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Hi there!

I recently bought a used MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon and when I install it with my i7 9700, it did a 1 long beep and 2 short beeps with VGA led on for the ez debug led. Then after the beeps gone it restart and booted into w11 but with no display. Before anyone saying that its my gpu, I tried my gpu on my brothers computer and it worked fine. I also tried to use the onboard gpu but the problems persist. Can anyone help??? My assumption is that the bios isn't updated so therefore its not compatible with the cpu for now but since it boots in with no display that kinda crosses out.

PC Specs:
i7 9700
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard
8GB 3200mhz Fury Kingston Ram
AMD RX 580 4GB Sapphire
Antec VP600V 600W PSU

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Used Z370 - where did you purchase the motherboard? Any warranty?

This motherboard?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/support#manual

Reference the User Manual and MSI's website to verify that all installed components are supported via the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Check specifications starting on physically numbered Page 16.

Then read through and work through the User Manual to ensure that all connections and configuration settings are correct.

For example (from Page 29):

"Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first. "

Have you tried clearing CMOS and installing a new CMOS battery? Page 40.

iClarity

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Used Z370 - where did you purchase the motherboard? Any warranty?

This motherboard?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/support#manual

Reference the User Manual and MSI's website to verify that all installed components are supported via the QVL (Qualified Vendors List).

Check specifications starting on physically numbered Page 16.

Then read through and work through the User Manual to ensure that all connections and configuration settings are correct.

For example (from Page 29):

"Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first. "

Have you tried clearing CMOS and installing a new CMOS battery? Page 40.
Yup thats the motherboard.

I have done all the things that are mentioned in the manuals and the same with clearing the CMOS. Sadly it's still the same. this link is from the seller that tested the motherboard before sending it msi z370 pro gaming carbon + i5 9500 tes oke - YouTube. Weirdly enough is that he used an i5 9500 and it worked. Here's the link that shows the problem that I have (293) MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1 long beeps and 2 short beeps that boots with no display - YouTube. Excuse the cam quality and messy table.

I also tried to use the onboard gpu but the problems persist.
Did you removed your GPU before trying this? If no, do that.
Another thing to try is put GPU into another x16 slot.
this link is from the seller that tested the motherboard before sending it msi z370 pro gaming carbon + i5 9500 tes oke - YouTube. Weirdly enough is that he used an i5 9500 and it worked.
Note that seller did not used GPU. So while the board clearly works (because it works for you too) it is quite possible the PCIe slot is not working.

iClarity

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Did you removed your GPU before trying this? If no, do that.
Another thing to try is put GPU into another x16 slot.

Note that seller did not used GPU. So while the board clearly works (because it works for you too) it is quite possible the PCIe slot is not working.
I've tried booting it with on board gpu and tried it on another x16 slot but to no luck. Yea i was thinking about that too but sadly the problem persists

Ralston18

Titan
"Typo" - no problem.

Display (monitor): Make and model? What video connection port is being used?

Also @DRagor 's post above made me read back a bit.

Have you tried another known working monitor on your computer?

Or tried your monitor on another known working computer?

Determine if the display problem stays with the computer or follows the monitor.

Or maybe the video cable.

VASIC

Prominent
Aug 17, 2022
One long followed by two short beeps indicates a video error. BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. Did you try to remove the BIOS battery and put it again or place an old CPU to test if it works?

iClarity

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Are you sure you have i7-9700 and not i7-9700F? Otherwise I can't find an explanation why system would boot to Windows without display from motherboard at any stage...
Yup I've doubled checked its pure i7-9700. That's where it confuses me as well. I know for a fact that gpu works fine due to I've tried it on my brothers pc

iClarity

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
"Typo" - no problem.

Display (monitor): Make and model? What video connection port is being used?

Also @DRagor 's post above made me read back a bit.

Have you tried another known working monitor on your computer?

Or tried your monitor on another known working computer?

Determine if the display problem stays with the computer or follows the monitor.

Or maybe the video cable.
For the monitor its samsung S24R350 and used hdmi for the video connection. Monitor works fine as I'm currently using it right now.

Yup I've tried using my brother's monitor as well I thought that there might be a problem with my monitor but thank god that's not the case.

I also tried using different video cable as well but sadly the problem persists

iClarity

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
One long followed by two short beeps indicates a video error. BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information. Did you try to remove the BIOS battery and put it again or place an old CPU to test if it works?
Yea which is weird as my gpu works fine. I've tried removing the BIOS battery in order to reset the bios but sadly the problem still persists.

you mean an old cpu that's either a gen 8th or 9th?

Im wondering if there's any way to flash the bios without being able to see?