1 month old PC running 2 apps Firefox and PicPick eating up 7 GB RAM out of 8 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This thread is in continuation to my earlier thread "In a dilemma - what would I lose by using 32-bit Windows 7 on a 64-bit Intel Core i3" which had two issues, one was well answered and the other got ignored. Hence, I had to open this new ticket by only picking up not responded portion of that thread.

My PC is barely 1 month old with 64-bit third generation Intel Core i3 + 8 GB RAM + 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate + 64-bit Office 2010.

The PC began slowing down occasionally and then I started running Windows Derangement and Quick Heal PC Optimizer every day. Despite this problem persisted.

At the time of happening so, I captured some screenshots from Windows Task Manager. Several processes and only 2 applications were running at that time - Gmail on Firefox and PicPick for capturing those screenshots. Whooping 86% (7 GB out of 8 GB) and 12% CPU were in use.

Since I did not put 8 GB RAM for running Gmail and PicPick I don't understand what's going on despite daily defrag and optimization. Any explanation or solution?

Thanks again for your time.

-------------------------------------------

PS:

I managed things with my 6 years old computer having only 2 GB RAM, 32-bit Windows 7 Home Basic + AMD Athlon 64X 4000+ and 32-bit Office 2007.

G

@ USAFRet and scout_03

Windows Disk Defragmenter

Windows Disk Defragmenter (not derangement) - a typo - sorry.

Avast! Antivirus Pro Paid Version and

Problem persisted with use of Avast Pro (paid) version.

Quick Heal Total Security 2013 Paid Version

Then I was advised by technician to switch over to Quick Heal Total Security 2013 as a result situation has improved substantially.

Quick Heal is lighter and takes good care of Virus/DNA Scan/Malware/Spam/Phishing, etc. (http://www.quickheal.com/download)

It is a paid product with marketing focus on Enterprise Users. It is very popular with techies here but we home users hardly hear of it due to non-advertizing.

Quick Heal PC Optimization utility

This PC Optimization utility is part of Total Security package and takes care of Disk Cleanup, Registry Cleanup, Traces Cleanup and Defragmenter through Auto Tuning.

CCleaner

Like most people I had been using CCleaner for years, it is free, does cleanup well, cleans also registry.

PicPick

C|Net Editor's rating Spectacular and ranks 4th among Photo Editors (http://download.cnet.com/PicPick/3000-2192_4-75072925.html).

I have been using it for fairly long time, a very simple, convenient, effective piece of work so far my needs are concerned.

Windows Task Manager says 53,416 K Working Set (Memory) utilization by PicPick.

I would be pleased to learn why scout_03 gives a simple command "stop that PicPick software"

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
because if it always run in background when you dont need it this use cpu cycle and ram so nothing left for the other application to run from use this http://www.glarysoft.com/ and check under advance tool in the system control for process witch on use most of cpu cycle and total memory it use .

G

Surprised to know PicPick which uses 52 MB out of 8192 MB meaning 0.01% of total memory is worrying a Memory Expert! What a diagnosis! Thanks for the Great advice anyway.

G

I appreciate your concern but isn't it in contradiction with reported facts (my post October 2, 2013 2:43:34 PM). I am unsure if proper attention is given to reported facts instead of making wild guesses?

Let me remind from my post October 2, 2013 2:43:34 PM just in case it has missed your attention though it was highlighted in bold -

"Avast! Pro" Paid version failed and the Quick Heal Total Security 2013 including Quick Heal PC Optimization rescued the situation".

When we can't make a diagnosis, it is better to refrain from making any diagnosis at all, and particularly, making an obviously incorrect diagnosis.

USAFRet

Titan

1. A 1 month old install should not be 'slow'. Slow, being an objective observation. Nor should it be using 7GB.
2. Various so-called "registry cleaners" are known to do far more harm than good

So we move on to why it appears to be slow. Process of elimination.
Initial thoughts would be a virus or other malware. If that is not the issue, then it is something else.
Next would be some other software running on the PC, screwing things up. See my #2 above.
Next might be a possibly mucked up OS install. A fresh reinstall would fix that
Next would be some hardware fault. In this case, either RAM or motherboard.

With nothing but a browser open, it should not be using 7GB out of 8GB RAM.

Only you know the full history of that PC. What you installed on it and how it was constructed. We're just giving suggestions.

Remove all other possibilities, and see what happens.
Software - Start the PC and have absolutely nothing running. Turn off all applicable processes.
See what the usage is as you turn things back on.

Hardware - Take out all the RAM but one stick. See what happens. Add new sticks, and continue to monitor.

G

Thanks, this time the response was more logical.

I have tested several utilities in the past. A Case in point is "PC utilities CNET forum: BEWARE of CHEATS - Case Study DRIVER GENIUS PRO 10 by: maanojrakhit August 5, 2011 7:51 PM PDT. When I challenged them with my findings they did not reply, instead quietly refunded my money even before my putting up a claim probably because they had nothing to answer.

Around this time, I methodically tested a number of utilities by purchasing them one by one and found majority of them were thriving on instilling fear in minds of PC users by producing highly inflated results, which if tracked back with proper testing procedure only led to plenty of bogus entries among some genuine on the top. This included Registry, Driver, and Optimizers.

Every two odd years, I have tested products of Reviver Soft (Registry Reviver, Driver Reviver, PC Benchmark and had numerous communications with their support team. By far, I had found them better than many others but not entirely clean.

This is first time that I think that I may have stumbled on a good optimizer in Quick Heal, a name I had heard for years but only from visiting PC repairs & maintenance engineers, and yet, I kept a safe distance from it all these years simply because I saw no advertisement of Quick Heal Total Security. This is first time I gave it a try, on account of an abnormal situation that I came across for the first time, on advice of the owner of a company which survives on Corporate Annual Maintenance Contracts. Having been benefited and memory consumption down to 40-45% with couple of applications running on Win 7 Ultimate, I do not want to meddle with the workings of Quick Heal Total Security 2013 whose integral part is the Optimizer that also checks Registry hives at boot time, etc.

Should an occasion arise for doubting the Quick Heal Optimizer, I shall gladly eliminate it but not now. If this hadn't worked then a full format, a low level clean install was next on my hit list; which, if failed to deliver desired result, hardware inspection was slated finally. But for now, thanks to this long ignored Security package coming to rescue the situation, and its consistent performance for last few days, I would want to let it stay as it is until I see the need for interference.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
did you made what i ask you that check witch process use the most of memory on your system there is a memory hoging software on your system . so for me this will be the last answer since you dont seems to want uor help but only promote the software you use whe dont know you could one of there company member and try to find a way to promote your software .to USARFet that the conclusion i came will all the answer the poster gave to us .

G

How can I check now that situation has changed drastically 86% to 44%? Isn't it naive to ask?

How can I take your advice when it doesn't sound logical that expert wants me to go after PicPick which consumed 0.01% of total memory?

Whatever I said about Quick Heal is true. I am not a company member. What my relationship with that company has been very clearly outlined there in my prior replies. I have nothing to promote. And, I do not lie. But I do not welcome ideas as funny as asking to look into 0.01% memory hogging process and total incapability of perceiving that no one can check back the memory hogging process which is no more existing.

From your first reply I had noted your tone when you commanded me to stop PicPick. An expert if ignorant of the product PicPick would want to first check about it before passing a dictate. And then when I asked you to clarify why you were after PicPick which consumes 0.01% memory you did not respond.

You really did not need to write this nasty reply. But if you did, then that displays your character. Since you made a personal remark, I am responding to you with personal reference. Otherwise, this is beyond the decorum of such forums. But remember that you started it. Hope you have the ability to stick to your word that "it was going to be your last reply". I would certainly welcome that from someone like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.