[SOLVED] 1060 Fan Mod

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
A few months back, I had a proprietary Acer 1060 6GB from a prebuilt die on me. The card boots up, but the cooler doesn't work. How can I cool this card?

(The 1060 6GB)

I also have a Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 92mm fan that I can possible use? Would this fan be able to work well enough with the heatsinks that are on the card already?

(Fan port)

(Card with fan on it)

Cheers

Solution
Undoubtedly that'll work like a champ. Any fan will be better than none, even on a passive heatsink. The only real question is the connection. I'd not assume a standard pwm orientation unless verified prior. Dell quite often uses a non-standard connection. So chances are 50/50 for it working or not.

Linus did a video about strapping a couple of Noctua to a 1080ti I believe it was, and I've seen other fan mod vids. Most just use zip ties, put 1 zip through the hole, under the board, through the front hole and use the head from a second to secure it. That way it doesn't go over the blades.

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
Not sure that I am correctly following all of the above.

Overall, the situation begs the question:

Warranties ?
The card has no warranty and I am fine with doing anything to it, I would just like to see if I could get it running as a spare. If I wanted it repaired, I'd have to send back the whole system (though most of the parts were repurposed 2 years ago).

I am mostly asking if it would be possible to mount this fan to the GPU and cool it properly.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Undoubtedly that'll work like a champ. Any fan will be better than none, even on a passive heatsink. The only real question is the connection. I'd not assume a standard pwm orientation unless verified prior. Dell quite often uses a non-standard connection. So chances are 50/50 for it working or not.

Linus did a video about strapping a couple of Noctua to a 1080ti I believe it was, and I've seen other fan mod vids. Most just use zip ties, put 1 zip through the hole, under the board, through the front hole and use the head from a second to secure it. That way it doesn't go over the blades.

Solution

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021

Thanks! It wasn't passive prior to the old fan dying, it was actually a blower style (would consistently hit temp limit 82c past 80% load) but I took it off and kept the heatsinks. I hope the heatsinks will work well.

Should I upgrade to a 120mm fan, or is the 92mm good enough? Also, should I buy a fan adapter for the GPU, or just connect the fan to my mobo forcing a somewhat high speed?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
92mm is fine, it's larger than the heatsink and has plenty of clearance to blow across the VRM heatsink.

Don't know about a fan adapter because I'm uncertain if a) there is such a thing for that and b) if it's the right adapter with the right pinout. You might be able to verify from the old fan, if the wires are color coded.

Depends on what you have and what you use. For instance if you can figure out how to setup and use SpeedFan, you can plug the fan into any mobo port, and reroute the sensor addressing to read gpu temps and have the fan respond to gpu temps on whatever you want to setup as the fan curve.

Reactions: Ralston18

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
92mm is fine, it's larger than the heatsink and has plenty of clearance to blow across the VRM heatsink.

Don't know about a fan adapter because I'm uncertain if a) there is such a thing for that and b) if it's the right adapter with the right pinout. You might be able to verify from the old fan, if the wires are color coded.

Depends on what you have and what you use. For instance if you can figure out how to setup and use SpeedFan, you can plug the fan into any mobo port, and reroute the sensor addressing to read gpu temps and have the fan respond to gpu temps on whatever you want to setup as the fan curve.
I might just stick to the motherboard option. I will be sure to try SpeedFan. Thanks so much!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
SpeedFan is the only free customizable fan profile (plus more) software that I know of. It's been around for years and was a staple of almost every high end OC builds, just because of its versatility.

It has 1 major flaw. It has a Hella learning curve, you'll need to play on 2-3 different tabs to get things going the way you want them. But, when it's done, it's one of those programs that you can forget about, it'll just run and do its thing. Iirr, it also can use a Windows task, to load and run it automatically as windows now uses that stupid UAC permission stuff. A task bypasses that.