haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
So I'm currently in the market for a new graphics card, and I don't want to spend a ton of money. I've decided that I'm probably going to go for an RX 5700 or 1070 super or 1060 super, depending on what price I could get them for. While selling some old parts, I came across a person selling a used 1070ti strix for 180 dollars. I'll attach a screenshot for a picture of the card. The description says it's been used for under 2 years. So I'm kind of stuck between these cards, and I would appreciate some advice. Should I go for the 1070ti or do you think I would get more bang for my buck if I spend the extra 100-150 bucks to get a 5700 or the other two cards?

https://paste.pics/81b91f368025a0cec66dd14a191473ec

PC Specs:
i7-7700k
GTX 1060 3gb
16gb 3200 DDR4
1TB Hard Drive
500w PSU (going to upgrade if I get a new GPU)
ASUS H110M-A

Solution
So I'm currently in the market for a new graphics card, and I don't want to spend a ton of money. I've decided that I'm probably going to go for an RX 5700 or 1070 super or 1060 super, depending on what price I could get them for. While selling some old parts, I came across a person selling a used 1070ti strix for 180 dollars. I'll attach a screenshot for a picture of the card. The description says it's been used for under 2 years. So I'm kind of stuck between these cards, and I would appreciate some advice. Should I go for the 1070ti or do you think I would get more bang for my buck if I spend the extra 100-150 bucks to get a 5700 or the other two cards?

PC Specs:
i7-7700k...

PC Specs:
i7-7700k
GTX 1060 3gb
16gb 3200 DDR4
1TB Hard Drive
500w PSU (going to upgrade if I get a new GPU)
ASUS H110M-A

Buying a used card is for suckers. It's a bad idea unless you have some kind of assurance, an ACTUAL assurance, that not only does the card work but that the seller will afford you all of the original purchase information for warranty purposes. Even then, you're spending a big chunk on a card that has probably already seen half it's useful life pass by. I think graphics cards are too risky to buy used unless you are buying locally from somebody you know very well, and trust. Otherwise you have no recourse if the card fails.

For warranty purposes alone it is a much better idea to buy new hardware. Graphics card failure rates tend to be much higher than most other hardware, so having the protection of a warranty is a much bigger deal than it is for say, a CPU bought used, since those rarely fail unless somebody has directly caused them to be damaged.

I'd recommend buying the 5700, new. And for the record, there are no 1060 or 1070 super cards. There are only 20 series super cards, so 2060 and 2070 Super. The 10 series cards only have TI models between tiers.

Solution

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
Buying a used card is for suckers. It's a bad idea unless you have some kind of assurance, an ACTUAL assurance, that not only does the card work but that the seller will afford you all of the original purchase information for warranty purposes. Even then, you're spending a big chunk on a card that has probably already seen half it's useful life pass by. I think graphics cards are too risky to buy used unless you are buying locally from somebody you know very well, and trust. Otherwise you have no recourse if the card fails.

For warranty purposes alone it is a much better idea to buy new hardware. Graphics card failure rates tend to be much higher than most other hardware, so having the protection of a warranty is a much bigger deal than it is for say, a CPU bought used, since those rarely fail unless somebody has directly caused them to be damaged.

I'd recommend buying the 5700, new. And for the record, there are no 1060 or 1070 super cards. There are only 20 series super cards, so 2060 and 2070 Super. The 10 series cards only have TI models between tiers.
Yeah, I was kind of leaning towards not going used because I have had warranty issues with my other GPUs before. I was just kind of caught off guard seeing a 1070ti for that cheap. And yeah I just realized I put 1060 and 1070 supers, facepalm. Thanks for the reply man!

Sure, no worries. I think other hardware is sometimes worth the risk of rolling the dice on used purchases if the price is good AND if it's not TOO old. But for graphics cards, it is RARELY a good idea. I'm sure some people disagree, because they have been lucky enough to find a smashing deal that worked out, but that is USUALLY not the case.