[SOLVED] 1080 ti along with 3080... Bricked 1080 ti?

RothFTP

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Hello,
I recently managed to get my hands on an RTX 3080. It's a gaming oc waterforce LHR for all it's worth.
The Galax HOF GTX 1080 ti I had, was working fine up to that point.
I wanted to keep the 1080 ti to mine with it and help offset the half-kidney I paid for the 3080...
So, I removed the 1080 ti from the top slot and put it in the second one, installing the 3080 into the first slot.
After powering the pc, using the latest DDU to clean the previous drivers and installing the latest driver, I noticed that the whole system became slow as a sloth. Everything on the screen stuttering extremely. The cursor, right-click menus, explorer windows and simple programs like gpu-z were taking near a minute to open. When the latter did, it showed both cards as not having cuda, openCL or physX enabled.
Removing the 1080 ti, the 3080 worked as it should.
Installing the 1080 ti by itself; same problems again. Tried DDUing the drivers, reinstalling the latest ones and I have the same issues.
Noteworthy is the fact that when I attempted to flash the 1080 ti I was getting the message "Detecting GPU failed.". By removing the drivers and it seemed to get the flash. But again the same issues...
Did I brick my card somehow? I always touch the chassis to ground myself before touching anything with a pcb.
Needless to say the 1080 ti is out of warranty...

Any ideas?

Thank you for your answers

Last edited:
Solution
I solved the problem and now the card works as before. If anyone ever has similar issues, my experience could help; IT WAS THE DRIVERS! The latest drivers (469.49) that are supposed to be compatible with the 1080 ti are causing the above issues with my Galax HOF 1080 ti.
Installed the previous version (472.12) and all is fine now. Re-attempted to try the latest drivers and the system falls on its knees again. Attempted so using another BIOS - same thing.
3 years now, since I got the card, I always install the latest drivers and never had a problem. For the first time I encounter bad nvidia drivers.
During those past days, I bathed the card in alcohol, cleaned it thoroughly, scratch-cleaned any contacts, downloaded the card's schematic...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

So with the GTX1080Ti, the slots on GPU-Z show nothing? If so, then your card's probably out for the count. You might want to see if you can reflash the VBIOS on the card(while it's on a system with an iGPU) but it's most likely that the card is beyond repair/recovery.

Others might have another point to make...so hang tight!

Reactions: RothFTP

RothFTP

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
The system is as follows:
CPU: 8700K
M/B: Asus Rog Maximus X formula
RAM: Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1600 P2
GPU1: Galax HOF 1080 ti lab edition
GPU2: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC waterforce
SSD1: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
SSD2: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
HDDs: 4X8TB, 2X10TB WD Red, 16TB Seagate barracuda, 2TB WD Black, 2TB HITACHI Deskstar
Chassis: Coolermaster H500P mesh

RothFTP

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

So with the GTX1080Ti, the slots on GPU-Z show nothing? If so, then your card's probably out for the count. You might want to see if you can reflash the VBIOS on the card(while it's on a system with an iGPU) but it's most likely that the card is beyond repair/recovery.

Others might have another point to make...so hang tight!
It's actually strange that BOTH cards report as not having CUDA, OpenCL, PhysX etx when the 1080 ti is installed. Plus, while the 3080 is the main gpu, it becomes incompetent with even the simplest of tasks in 2D. Running a game loads forever. Nanominer detects the cards but there's 0 hashrate.
In safe mode, or without a driver installed, the 1080 ti "works" normally, without any erratic behavior in 2D.

RothFTP

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Any more insights? The card was working fine and just while changing it slots it started this erratic behavior. Maybe being sagged and a little warm for months, then warping it while also it got cold did some damage? Maybe some static or moisture did it?
Also, the behavior... It's like the whole system gets overburdened. It's extremely slow to open a new window or open a right-click menu. And all that while the 3080 is the main card.
I'm on the brink of baking it...

Last edited:

RothFTP

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
I solved the problem and now the card works as before. If anyone ever has similar issues, my experience could help; IT WAS THE DRIVERS! The latest drivers (469.49) that are supposed to be compatible with the 1080 ti are causing the above issues with my Galax HOF 1080 ti.
Installed the previous version (472.12) and all is fine now. Re-attempted to try the latest drivers and the system falls on its knees again. Attempted so using another BIOS - same thing.
3 years now, since I got the card, I always install the latest drivers and never had a problem. For the first time I encounter bad nvidia drivers.
During those past days, I bathed the card in alcohol, cleaned it thoroughly, scratch-cleaned any contacts, downloaded the card's schematic, was researching on how to stab the card to check for shorts and for the right voltages... I was even about to bake it!

Last edited:
Solution

Latest posts