Question 1080 with GPUs usage drops in ONLY CERTAIN games

Sep 2, 2018
Certain games are currently causing GPU drops for me. I can't figure it out I've been trying for so long. First of all its only in certain games, what I've found is it's in Fortnite, Skyrim Vr, and Sea of Thieves. I have a laptop Alienware r4 17 4k monitor. It has an i7 and a 1080. When I use MSI Afterburner to watch what's going on the GPU usage after a bit will just start dropping to 0 for a split second at intervals. The Temps are fairly low for a laptop, no overheating. I've tried to reinstall windows as if it was a bug. Completely reinstalled drivers. Remove bloatware, run all Support Assists tests, Updated pc to the max including drivers. Nothing seems to help. This started back after I got my computer sent back to me. I had to send it in for a memory problem. Came back no errors. However, they added some extra bloatware, something called over wolf or something like that. I then launched it and it caused massive problems, I removed it and all was good. However, this gpu usage problem keeps coming and going. It has been like a month streak without it happening and now it's happening all the time again. I just can't handle it. Anything would help

Theres been a few times im fast enough to take off the headset and see the whole screen flash black
but when I play non vr games and this happens the screen never flashes black

If I run any of the stress tests even the most extensive ones they all pass, it seems only when the gpu usage is at 100 percent does these drops occur, and when the drops do begin even if you close the game they will still happen through out the whole computer.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018
Just did some more recording while playing and noticed that when this happened in vr, every aspect of the gpu dropped. Including the temperature, usage and memery load. As if the whole gpu was failing. I used performance recordings from the alienware command center to find this out

Edit: this was just an oddball recording because I did some more and this never happened again.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019
Certain games are currently causing GPU drops for me. I can't figure it out I've been trying for so long. First of all its only in certain games, what I've found is it's in Fortnite, Skyrim Vr, and Sea of Thieves. I have a laptop Alienware r4 17 4k monitor. It has an i7 and a 1080. When I use MSI Afterburner to watch what's going on the GPU usage after a bit will just start dropping to 0 for a split second at intervals. The Temps are fairly low for a laptop, no overheating. I've tried to reinstall windows as if it was a bug. Completely reinstalled drivers. Remove bloatware, run all Support Assists tests, Updated pc to the max including drivers. Nothing seems to help. This started back after I got my computer sent back to me. I had to send it in for a memory problem. Came back no errors. However, they added some extra bloatware, something called over wolf or something like that. I then launched it and it caused massive problems, I removed it and all was good. However, this gpu usage problem keeps coming and going. It has been like a month streak without it happening and now it's happening all the time again. I just can't handle it. Anything would help

Theres been a few times im fast enough to take off the headset and see the whole screen flash black
but when I play non vr games and this happens the screen never flashes black

If I run any of the stress tests even the most extensive ones they all pass, it seems only when the gpu usage is at 100 percent does these drops occur, and when the drops do begin even if you close the game they will still happen through out the whole computer.

Hey there, Overwolf is a platform with different apps for gamers, that are meant to improve gaming experience. Our top priority is to keep the same level of game performance while our overlay is activated.

I would like to get to the bottom of the problems you were having, since it's very important to us to get on top of any technical issue our users have.
I'd be glad if you could contact us through this form - it will be very helpful if you do :)

TRENDING THREADS