mukoolhasan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Hey everyone, this might be a stupid question but I'm really confused about this specific thing. Would appreciate if anyone could clear this out for me!
I bought a 24" monitor, (ViewSonic VX2458-P-MHD, Full HD, 1ms, 144hz). I'm building a PC with i5-10500 and GTX 1650. I'm looking to play AAA titles on medium settings! I'm aware that most likely I'll not get 60fps on lot of demanding games. So my question is should I be playing with 144hz or should I lower it down to 120hz or 75hz. Does it effect game performance if I'm playing with 144hz while I'm only getting 40-50fps on my games?

I'm sorry if it's a stupid question but I was confused with all the answers I found! Thank you!

Solution
Depends on what your playing, if your playing seriously or for fun, I started out with 120hz, You should be able to run AAA titles at a mix of medium to high settings, depends on game, 75hz if I am correct are just overclocked 60hz monitors, I would start off with a 120hz or 144hz, one of my laptops had a gtx 1050, and I played fine with a 120hz monitor, could run games well, it depends on what your planning in the future, In my opinion, I would go to a 120hz or 144hz monitor, it will last you a long time, I was on 144hz when I upgraded my gpu, 240hz is not really necessary in my opinion, only if your an eSports player and if you need one, I noticed very little difference going from 144hz to 240hz.

mukoolhasan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Well at 40FPS your monitor will be updating 3 times on the same frame and with vsync disabled it could be re drawing the frame each time causing a lot of tearing.

So would u say it's better if I set it to 60hz or 75hz? The reason I bought it is because I found it for cheap and I thought it'd be nice just in case if I plan to upgrade my GPU in the near future! Thanks

kubacs

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Depends on what your playing, if your playing seriously or for fun, I started out with 120hz, You should be able to run AAA titles at a mix of medium to high settings, depends on game, 75hz if I am correct are just overclocked 60hz monitors, I would start off with a 120hz or 144hz, one of my laptops had a gtx 1050, and I played fine with a 120hz monitor, could run games well, it depends on what your planning in the future, In my opinion, I would go to a 120hz or 144hz monitor, it will last you a long time, I was on 144hz when I upgraded my gpu, 240hz is not really necessary in my opinion, only if your an eSports player and if you need one, I noticed very little difference going from 144hz to 240hz.

Reactions: mukoolhasan
Solution