Question 1080ti Bad Performance on RDR2 with optimal settings

Retr0Amz

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
Hello guys, I am once again asking for your fina...tech support because my 1080ti is driving me crazy once again. I have played RDR2 in the past, two times actually, and I wanted to have a third run on this masterpiece but when I booted it up I noticed low fps. Nothing scary, something like 45 fps, so I decided to check Reddit to get some good settings for my 1080ti and I applied all the settings in the image below.
When I was done I restarted RDR2 And I got <Mod Edit> horrendous fps, something like 35 but reaching values as low as 23 fps. I then decided to switch to 1080p and I still get an average of 45 fps on this exact settings, then even on 1050p I still got the same <Mod Edit> fps.
I also think my PSU is a bit sus since I have previously had power shortages and random pc bsods but it was like 6 months ago and nothing since then. I don't know if a faulty PSU could be the reason of low fps, but I've noticed the "High electrical consumption" on games and other processes.
My specs:
GPU:ASUS 1080ti TURBO
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700k 3.8Ghz
RAM: Corsair 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 LPX XMP2.0 C15
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 S PSU 700W
MOBO: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V Version 2
SSD: Sandisk 120GB SATA Revision 3.0 6Gb/s
HDD 1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB, SATA 6 Gbit/s 7200RPM
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 1TB, SATA 6 Gbit/s 7200RPM

Detailed Speccy Log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/182cFPlM7R_DO8VlITgGkP72trybrHvln/view?usp=sharing
My In-Game HWMonitor log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1azZVKp6-RisBK8GJvX-0EdA2JBQ7RFbI/view?usp=sharing

You can notice some pretty high temps there but I always had high hot spot temps on my GPU so I don't know if that's the problem.

ALREADY TRIED:
-Reinstalling GPU drivers
-Resetting NVIDIA Control Panel
-Changing graphics settings in game
-Checking for viruses with Malwarebytes

TL;DR Low fps in RDR2, suspicious PSU, already reinstalled drivers and checked nvidia control panel.
go8ZBc.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think my PSU is a bit sus since I have previously had power shortages and random pc bsods but it was like 6 months ago and nothing since then. I don't know if a faulty PSU could be the reason of low fps, but I've noticed the "High electrical consumption" on games and other processes.

Which power supply are you using ? What's the exact Model number and brand ? This is very important.

By the way, on a slightly different note, avoid posting any system info via the SPECCY tool, or like in a DXDIAG format. Hard to read the specs in this format, and it also contains a lot of useless info as well.

Just manually mention the PC specs in short, whenever you create a new Thread. Anyway, have you monitored the GPU and CPU temp value while gaming ? Any signs of overheating ? How much does it get hot ?

Do you have bad performance issues only with RDR2, or even other PC games ?

Retr0Amz

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
Which power supply are you using ? What's the exact Model number and brand ? This is very important.

By the way, on a slightly different note, avoid posting any system info via the SPECCY tool, or like in a DXDIAG format. Hard to read the specs in this format, and it also contains a lot of useless info as well.

Just manually mention the PC specs in short, whenever you create a new Thread. Anyway, have you monitored the GPU and CPU temp value while gaming ? Any signs of overheating ? How much does it get hot ?

Do you have bad performance issues only with RDR2, or even other PC games ?
Sorry, I'll just write it manually next time then
My specs are:
GPU:ASUS 1080ti TURBO
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700k 3.8Ghz
RAM: Corsair 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 LPX XMP2.0 C15
MOBO: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V Version 2
SSD: Sandisk 120GB SATA Revision 3.0 6Gb/s
HDD 1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB, SATA 6 Gbit/s 7200RPM
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 1TB, SATA 6 Gbit/s 7200RPM

Here you are the in-game temps of my GPU:
Hardware monitor NVIDIA NVAPI
Voltage 0 0.90 Volts [0x384] (GPU)
Power 0 117.69 W (GPU)
Temperature 0 84 degC (182 degF) [0x53] (GPU)
Temperature 2 98 degC (208 degF) [0x61] (Hot Spot)
Fan 0 2939 RPM [0xB7B] (GPU #0)
Fan PWM 0 59 pc [0x3B] (FANPWMIN0)
Clock Speed 0 1683.00 MHz [0x693] (Graphics)
Clock Speed 1 5508.00 MHz [0x1584] (Memory)
Clock Speed 2 n.a. (Processor)

When gaming my GPU always reaches those temps (around 84 degC), can't tell about the hot spot, only checked it time ago when I had a problem with FH5 and it reached the same temps. That time I played RDR2 and got no problem so it might not be it.
I play only Valorant and I have no evident problems, might also be because it's a very light game.

Okay, it appears that this PSU might be the culprit here. If I'm not mistaken, that's a very low-end quality PSU. Not meant to power high-end discrete GPUs. I don't think this unit is even Bronze certified though. Just a basic 80 Plus certification. In any case, avoid powering up the 1080 Ti GPU by this power supply.

Even your GPU temp values are high. This might also degrade performance, but my first bet is still on the PSU. That TR2 series from Thermaltake are pretty bad units. Not recommend for gaming rigs.

Don't use this cheap low-end Tier unit to power up a powerful card like the GTX 1080 Ti. Wattage number alone does not always confirm if any PSU model is good or not, because the most important thing is build QUALITY of the PSU model. I don't recommend using that particular model PSU for high-end discrete GPU gaming rigs.

Try to upgrade the current PSU, and get a HIGH quality model/unit. TR2 PSU models are mostly recommended for iGPU systems, and not some high-end discrete GPU. Stop powering the card using this power supply. Since PSU is the MOST important PC component, we shouldn't skimp at all, or make any compromises.

I would definitely not recommend to power up the GTX 1080 Ti. This is especially true if you're currently using an underpowered or aging PSU; not having enough power will usually lead to overall system instability and game crashes.

One more important thing. RDR2 is actually a very graphic demanding game, so expect performance loss even on high-end GPUs. The game taxes most of the modern GPUs to the limit. So this might also be the reason for your poor FPS. Granted you earlier got 45 fps, but the game is still very demanding on the hardware.

Try re-installing the game again from scratch if possible, and delete all previous saved graphics settings/profiles. Do you game on 1080p ? Also, maybe try playing any other graphic demanding game as well ?

Just get a reputed PSU Model, if you can afford, which is also of high quality. The following links might help.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...pply-discussion-thread-toms-hardware.3212332/

Sorry, I'll just write it manually next time then

Oh. There is nothing to feel sorry about that though. I just gave a suggestion for the PC specs. Because manually listing any PC specs helps everyone, rather than posting/reading DXDIAG reports. :)

Last edited:
The old Thermaltake TR2 PSUs not designated with an S were pretty bad, but they overhauled them and these new models are actually reviewing quite well. They are also Bronze 80 Plus rated.

I suspect the problem may be the high temps on the GPU due to having less efficient reference cooling, particularly if that 98 degree temp is the GPU. It could be made even worse if the case has poor ventilation, or is cramped with not many fans. Also any OC you may be running on it would make it run hotter.

The best way to set up a gaming case is with slight positive pressure, achieved by having accumulatively a bit more intake fan CFM than exhaust fan CFM. That way no dust gets pulled into non filtered case crevices, but the intake fans should also have filters. It's a TON easier to figure and set if you know the manufacturer's CFM rating of your case fans, and at least some are adjustable in speed. If this is not the scenario for you and you've been using the GPU a lot, the GPU should probably be checked for excessive dust in the fan and heatsink.

I can't stress enough though when playing games like RDR2 that are very GPU demanding, especially with a blower style reference GPU with old style non vapor chamber heatsink, it's best to have a very well ventilated case. We also don't know the ambient temp of the room you're playing in, and now that it's summer, that matters a lot too.

That said, have you tested the CPU for temps? You should probably run MSI Afterburner with RTSS and set AB to monitor CPU and GPU usage and temps in real time while playing. It's mainly the 98 degree temp that is potentially troublesome, and likely the main culprit IMO. Another thing is that CPU Cooler is not one of the more trusted brands, and has spotty reviews at best.

Do the MSI AB real time test I suggested though, then we'll know more. If you need help setting it up to monitor those things onscreen, just holler.

Last edited:

Retr0Amz

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
The old Thermaltake TR2 PSUs not designated with an S were pretty bad, but they overhauled them and these new models are actually reviewing quite well. They are also Bronze 80 Plus rated.

I suspect the problem may be the high temps on the GPU due to having less efficient reference cooling, particularly if that 98 degree temp is the GPU. It could be made even worse if the case has poor ventilation, or is cramped with not many fans. Also any OC you may be running on it would make it run hotter.

The best way to set up a gaming case is with slight positive pressure, achieved by having accumulatively a bit more intake fan CFM than exhaust fan CFM. That way no dust gets pulled into non filtered case crevices, but the intake fans should also have filters. It's a TON easier to figure and set if you know the manufacturer's CFM rating of your case fans, and at least some are adjustable in speed. If this is not the scenario for you and you've been using the GPU a lot, the GPU should probably be checked for excessive dust in the fan and heatsink.

I can't stress enough though when playing games like RDR2 that are very GPU demanding, especially with a blower style reference GPU with old style non vapor chamber heatsink, it's best to have a very well ventilated case. We also don't know the ambient temp of the room you're playing in, and now that it's summer, that matters a lot too.

That said, have you tested the CPU for temps? You should probably run MSI Afterburner with RTSS and set AB to monitor CPU and GPU usage and temps in real time while playing. It's mainly the 98 degree temp that is potentially troublesome, and likely the main culprit IMO. Another thing is that CPU Cooler is not one of the more trusted brands, and has spotty reviews at best.

Do the MSI AB real time test I suggested though, then we'll know more. If you need help setting it up to monitor those things onscreen, just holler.
I already had those temperatures for a long time and never had this problems. GPU Max temps reach 86C while the CPU stays around 65C, both in game

Retr0Amz

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
Okay, it appears that this PSU might be the culprit here. If I'm not mistaken, that's a very low-end quality PSU. Not meant to power high-end discrete GPUs. I don't think this unit is even Bronze certified though. Just a basic 80 Plus certification. In any case, avoid powering up the 1080 Ti GPU by this power supply.

Even your GPU temp values are high. This might also degrade performance, but my first bet is still on the PSU. That TR2 series from Thermaltake are pretty bad units. Not recommend for gaming rigs.

Don't use this cheap low-end Tier unit to power up a powerful card like the GTX 1080 Ti. Wattage number alone does not always confirm if any PSU model is good or not, because the most important thing is build QUALITY of the PSU model. I don't recommend using that particular model PSU for high-end discrete GPU gaming rigs.

Try to upgrade the current PSU, and get a HIGH quality model/unit. TR2 PSU models are mostly recommended for iGPU systems, and not some high-end discrete GPU. Stop powering the card using this power supply. Since PSU is the MOST important PC component, we shouldn't skimp at all, or make any compromises.

I would definitely not recommend to power up the GTX 1080 Ti. This is especially true if you're currently using an underpowered or aging PSU; not having enough power will usually lead to overall system instability and game crashes.

One more important thing. RDR2 is actually a very graphic demanding game, so expect performance loss even on high-end GPUs. The game taxes most of the modern GPUs to the limit. So this might also be the reason for your poor FPS. Granted you earlier got 45 fps, but the game is still very demanding on the hardware.

Try re-installing the game again from scratch if possible, and delete all previous saved graphics settings/profiles. Do you game on 1080p ? Also, maybe try playing any other graphic demanding game as well ?

Just get a reputed PSU Model, if you can afford, which is also of high quality. The following links might help.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...pply-discussion-thread-toms-hardware.3212332/

Oh. There is nothing to feel sorry about that though. I just gave a suggestion for the PC specs. Because manually listing any PC specs helps everyone, rather than posting/reading DXDIAG reports. :)
I was thinking about trying to run my pc with my friend's PSU to see if anything changes, thanks for the help, I'll keep you updated

I doubt it's the PSU. If you check reviews on that model you will see why. Yours is one of the updated models, which are much better than the old TR2s. Unless you mistakenly put the S in there and it's an old one.

I would first try playing without Vsync and Gsync, they are known to cause performance problems in some games. I also suspect Ultra Textures might be one of the main problems. It takes a very hefty GPU to play on Ultra textures in that game.

On my 8700k/GTX 1080 rig, I got about 57-60 FPS, and it was plenty smooth enough, but I'm quite sure I wasn't running Vsync or Ultra Textures.

Last edited:
I already had those temperatures for a long time and never had this problems. GPU Max temps reach 86C while the CPU stays around 65C, both in game
You also stated a 98 degree temp though, where was that taken from? I'd feel a lot more reassured if you just captured a brief clip with MSI AB monitoring temps and usage in background. It might also show any performance problems other than FPS to give us an idea what's going on. Preferably capture a spot that dips low in FPS,

The 1080 Ti chip from what I read can start thermal throttling somewhere in the mid 80c range, which is why many try to keep them from reaching 85c. If you've been running it at that temp for a long time, and the hotspot temp has increased (98c is VERY high), it may need reseating with new TIM.

You've yet to even tell us what case you're using, or what the ambient temp of the room you're playing in is. We all know reference cards run hotter, but there's a certain point where they get too hot, and when they do, they may throttle down enough to be closer to a 1080 in performance.

The best way to avoid having to tear apart a reference card and reseat it with new TIM, is preventative maintenance, by keeping your case and room cool enough. This is also why many prefer cards with aftermarket coolers.

Last edited:

Retr0Amz

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
You also stated a 98 degree temp though, where was that taken from? I'd feel a lot more reassured if you just captured a brief clip with MSI AB monitoring temps and usage in background. It might also show any performance problems other than FPS to give us an idea what's going on. Preferably capture a spot that dips low in FPS,

The 1080 Ti chip from what I read can start thermal throttling somewhere in the mid 80c range, which is why many try to keep them from reaching 85c. If you've been running it at that temp for a long time, and the hotspot temp has increased (98c is VERY high), it may need reseating with new TIM.

You've yet to even tell us what case you're using, or what the ambient temp of the room you're playing in is. We all know reference cards run hotter, but there's a certain point where they get too hot, and when they do, they may throttle down enough to be closer to a 1080 in performance.

The best way to avoid having to tear apart a reference card and reseat it with new TIM, is preventative maintenance, by keeping your case and room cool enough. This is also why many prefer cards with aftermarket coolers.
I applied new thermal paste not long ago because I noticed that 98C Hot Spot and the temps didn't change at all after the new thermal paste. I used the Arctic MX-4, no performance nor temperature differences. General GPU temp on the other hand stays under 84 which is the limit.

I applied new thermal paste not long ago because I noticed that 98C Hot Spot and the temps didn't change at all after the new thermal paste. I used the Arctic MX-4, no performance nor temperature differences. General GPU temp on the other hand stays under 84 which is the limit.
You just prior said your GPU max temps are 86c, I'm getting confusing, contradicting info here. This plus the fact that you STILL have not answered the question as to what case you're using tells me you might be getting by with one that has less than desirable ventilation. It's also very important with blower style GPUs to have an adequate amount of space behind the case where hot exhaust is dumped out.

We ARE talking performance issues here after all, and frequent thermal throttling can certainly cause it. It's up to you whether you want to do anything about it, but I really think you are not getting the full potential out of the 1080 Ti.

Aside from that, are you experienced at applying TIM and properly reseating a cooler with equal and adequate pressure? However I also know some GPUs benefit from thin spacer mods due to inadequate mounting pressure. Again, 98c is nowhere near an acceptable hotspot temp.

You also really ought to do the MSI AB bench I suggested, and pay attention to any fluctuations in GPU temps and usage.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the same gpu and game. The problem is the game.
RDR2 for PC is not only poorly optimized, but it relies more on cpu, than gpu.
The game is a beast, but he should be able to get better than 45 FPS on a 1080 Ti.

OP, one thig I forgot to point out is many people find the game doesn't run as well on DX12. If you're running it on DX12, try switching to Vulkan. Some also edit the game's settings file (Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings) to set the Async value to True.