Jul 1, 2022
GPU: ROG STRIX GTX1080TI 11G GAMING
Cpu: Intel i7-8700k
Ram: 32GB g.skill 3200mhz
Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus XHero
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Monitor: LG Ultragear 34GK950F-B 34 inch 21:9
BIOS: 2701

My computer work fine, except when I play games, any games. It crashes after 2-10 minutes. At first I thought that it might be related to my PSU, so I switched my evga 750w G3 for a spare evga 850w G2. Unfortunately it crashed again. I get no BSOD, it just crashes to desktop and everything else is fine.

I've monitored temperatures,
unseated and reseated every components,
tested another PSU,
fresh drivers install with DDU on safe mode,
I've checked event viewer and the error changes depending of the game.

The only thing I can do to play my games is to use a spare GTX 970, then everything works fine. (terrible fps on a 1440p ultrawide monitor though)

So is there any way I can make sure the issue is related to my GPU and not my motherboard for example? (stress test maybe?)
or any way I could underclock my 1080ti since it's factory overclocked?

Reactions: Luijaxx

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W , evga 750w G3
How old are the PSU's mentioned above? What was the other unit powering in the interim period?

tested another PSU,
Did you use any other unit apart from the two mentioned above?

The only thing I can do to play my games is to use a spare GTX 970, then everything works fine.
The power draw for the GTX1080Ti and the GTX970 are not the same, there's a 100W difference when you're suggested to source a PSU for a build with the higher tier GPU. I'd try and take the GTX1080Ti to a platform that has at least 650W of power to the entire system.

Jul 1, 2022
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W , evga 750w G3
How old are the PSU's mentioned above? What was the other unit powering in the interim period?

EVGA 750W G3 is from 2017 and the 850W G2 is older than that and was powering an older PC that my kid sometime uses.

tested another PSU,
Did you use any other unit apart from the two mentioned above?

The only thing I can do to play my games is to use a spare GTX 970, then everything works fine.
The power draw for the GTX1080Ti and the GTX970 are not the same, there's a 100W difference when you're suggested to source a PSU for a build with the higher tier GPU. I'd try and take the GTX1080Ti to a platform that has at least 650W of power to the entire system.

Mentionned units above are the only ones I used to test and they are above 650w and used for the entire system.

Status
Not open for further replies.