11 Games That Should Get A Remake Or Sequel

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_TheD0ct0r_

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

I very much agree! Its a prequel-sequel that connects the first and second game! Amazing twist at the end which links both stories perfectly.

DornyeiJ

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. Remake.

No changes are needed to gameplay as it is perfect. There is no game since its release what came close.
Parallel processing optimization is needed to allow faster gameplay with high unit count.
Multiplayer needs to be redone as it is not good.
Graphics could be improved optionally to allow sales.

I think the same number of people would buy the remake as the original if not more.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I may be in the minority, but I say "no remakes", please. We just want our favorite games fixed to play just as they did back in the day, at the same low resolutions & aspect ratios. My personal list:
-Mechwarrior 2 & mech2 mercs: fix jumpjet issues for fast PCs, even on Dosbox. We want to see silky smooth framerates without increasing the difficulty.
-Outcast: fix it for fast PCs & modern OSes. Outcast 1.1 doesn't support depth-of-field, which is core to the art-style. GOG edition has music volume balancing problems to the point of being unplayably annoying.
-Baldur's-Gate 1: fix the ambient music not loading or looping on fast PCs, and the graphics framerate problems on new video cards (applies to Planescape-Torment too). BG-EE is not BG1.
-Grand-Prix-2: Runs either too fast or too slow to be fun on modern PCs, even in DosBox. On 600MHz PIIIs, it was juuust right.
-XCom 1: None of the countless ports or editions give the satisfaction of playing UfoGold on an old pentium 2 or 3.
-MetalGearSolid 1: Fix it to work on modern PCs.
-Someone asked about system-shock-2: try the newdark engine with the graphics mods. They've done an excellent job of making it run perfectly on new PCs with such subtle improvments to the textures that don't alter the original style or feel.
-Agreed for mechwarrior 3.
-The only essential "remake" I can think of is adding speed adjustment hotkeys to Command and Conquer 1 & RedAlert 1, Starcraft style, rather than going into the options menu to do it. It was tedious.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think it depends a lot on the game. One thing to keep in mind is that if it was a 2D game, the graphics should ideally be replaced with higher resolution assets, because monitors are so much bigger. Personally, I don't want to spend dozens of hours staring at 256-color graphics with pixels the size of gorillas, or craning my neck to play in a small window. But, if that's the only thing they change, it's usually enough.

As for 3D games, driver-level overrides provide enough capability to fix aliasing problems in the original that perhaps a few playability enhancements are often the only thing you really need.

That said, I think Ultima V: Lazarus provides a good example of what's possible, with a remake. When a remake can really serve the original story, in ways that weren't possible in the original technology, I think it's a worthwhile effort. But if a remake is simply done to cash in on an establish franchise, then I'd agree that they should leave "well enough" alone and focus on sequels.

In this vein, I'd love to see Tribes brought back ( ideally a Tribes 2 graphical remaster ). The Battlefield players raving about 64 players, massive maps, and vehicles seem to forget that Tribes 2 was doing all that and more 15 years ago.

Yes, please! Most of the old LucasArts adventures qualify. They've done it for Monkey Island 1 & 2, as well as Day of the Tentacle, so bring back Benny already!.

Fixing KotOR 2 would be grand. Include the half-completed content that was cut out and disabled.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
RAGE 2, Underground 3 and Too Human 2 (Two Human?)

To me, the games that best deserve a good second chance are the ones that had so much potential, but just couldn't realize it.

shindongji

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
As the people posted above, Half Life 3 would be nice. I also would like to see a Dragons Dogma 2 and a remake of Fatal Frame on the PC.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Think I heard somewhere they are making another unreal tournament. That game was bomb.

There's an Unreal Tournament being created (and is playable) that is attached to the Unreal Engine 4 project. (You don't need to download the editors to play either.)

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

ohh shoot are you talking about that old game on 3.1/4" floppys?

Frontlines: Fuel of War 2

One of the greatest online FPS. Too bad Kaos and THQ went belly up. Maybe Cytek or Ubisoft or whoever the heck owns the franchise rights will bring it back for an encore.

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

You're probably thinking of Doom, I still have those floppys :)
Here's Unreal:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/13250/

Status
Not open for further replies.