[SOLVED] 12900 K(F) or 5950X

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2016
Hi,

For a guy that needs a new build (still on i7 -4790) what path would you take, Intel 12900K(F) CPU or AMD Ryzen 5950X ?
I do want to mention that the main focus is NOT gaming, but rather a heavy CPU load intense jobs, like music production.
Also, preferred OS is Windows 10, rather than 11 (for now).

Thanks

Solution
I'd wait a little bit and see what DDR5 has to offer, meaning what other vendors are going to come out with. Everything you're seeing right now, outside of a few kits here and there are just the tip of the iceberg with what DDR5 can achieve. If you really need a platform right now, get the Intel. I'd suggest intel when compared to RyZen right about now but that will change when AMD make their announcement in a few months time(or this year itself).

When you speak of music production, what app's will you be taxing the system with?

Lutfij

Titan
I'd wait a little bit and see what DDR5 has to offer, meaning what other vendors are going to come out with. Everything you're seeing right now, outside of a few kits here and there are just the tip of the iceberg with what DDR5 can achieve. If you really need a platform right now, get the Intel. I'd suggest intel when compared to RyZen right about now but that will change when AMD make their announcement in a few months time(or this year itself).

When you speak of music production, what app's will you be taxing the system with?

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Heavy loads, probably go with the 5950X myself. Lower power and you have 16/32 full cores rather than a mix of power and efficiency cores 16/24.

And certainly with a preference for Windows 10.

Still, should be benchmarks out there for the 5950X for any applications you are using, as compared to the literally launched today Intel.

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2016
@Lutfij, thanks for the response.
The app is Steinberg Cubase 10, with a sea of 3rd party Virtual Sound Technology plugins as well.
Yeah, still too soon to see all the perks of DDR 5 RAM
I am also anxious about the new zen 3d/zen 4 announcements, but don't know how much time will need to wait.

@Eximo, thanks as well.
I also lean a bit to team Red, but do not want to make any premature judgments :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
AMD is likely to announce mid next year for Zen 4.

For whatever reason they are keeping 3D cache pretty close lipped. Probably want some volume before release to avoid more shortages (not that they could ever produce enough)