Question 12th Gen I5-12400-Alder Lake Processor ?

Syama

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
Hi I Want to build 12th Gen I5-12400-Alder Lake new budget PC for the purpose of heavy office work and moderate work of video editing. I'm thinking of

Motherboards: MSI PRO Z790-P ATX/Gigabyte Z790 UD AC/Asus PRIME Z790-P WIFI/MSI PRO B760-P DDR4.

RAM:G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

PSU:Cooler Master MWE 650 watt 80 Plus Gold Certified V2 Fully Modular

NVMe SSD:Crucial P3 1TB PCIe 3.0 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD, up to 3500MB/s

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3 ARGB CPU Cooler

GPU: 4gb MSI-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Ventus XS OCV3.

Kindly suggest compatible motherboard with other components regarding I5-12400.
Thank You all.

Syama

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
Do I understand you correctly?

You have already decided on G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz. Is that correct?

I think some of those motherboards you list require DDR5 RAM.
You are correctly understand. I have not decided so far about RAM. After collecting right information will decide.

What country do you live in and what is your MAXIMUM budget?

I would look at mid to upper level micro ATX motherboards, rather than full ATX.

B series motherboard should be fine. You shouldn't need the features of Z series.

I think they are available in both DDR4 and DDR5 varieties.

Price for a good micro ATX should be close to the price for an average full ATX.

Perhaps Gigabyte Aorus series or MSI Mag Mortar series.

Moderate video editing....are you sure you need a video card at all?

The Hyper 212 cooler will work. It is not exceptional, but doesn't need to be.

What case will you use?

I'm not sure about that PSU. Let others comment on it.

Reactions: Order 66

Syama

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
What country do you live in and what is your MAXIMUM budget?

I would look at mid to upper level micro ATX motherboards, rather than full ATX.

B series motherboard should be fine. You shouldn't need the features of Z series.

I think they are available in both DDR4 and DDR5 varieties.

Price for a good micro ATX should be close to the price for an average full ATX.

Perhaps Gigabyte Aorus series or MSI Mag Mortar series.

Moderate video editing....are you sure you need a video card at all?

The Hyper 212 cooler will work. It is not exceptional, but doesn't need to be.

What case will you use?

I'm not sure about that PSU. Let others comment on it.
Thank You. From India....
You are right. B series boards are enough for my purpose. I would like to know best options (as per availability in our country) from Gigabyte Aorus series & MSI Mag Mortar series. Because many boards are there. Regarding PSU: I think Cooler Master MWE 650 watt 80 Plus Gold Certified V2 Fully Modular is OK? 4 gb video card is enough for video & photo editing works?! About Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 Black Mid-Tower Case. I have provisionally selected 2 RAM options: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz (or) Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 5200MHz. Budget is nearly at $1100.

MSI MAG B760M MORTAR WIFI
MSI MAG B760M MORTAR WIFI II
Gigabyte B760M AORUS ELITE
Gigabyte B760M AORUS ELITE AX
Gigabyte B760M AORUS PRO
Gigabyte B760M AORUS PRO AX

Above boards are all micro ATX.

Which are available to you?

Which are within your budget?

All would be compatible with your 12400 CPU.

Be careful...some of these boards might be available in both DDR 4 and DDR 5 versions.

If you want DDR 5, I would look at G Skill. Something with maybe 6000 speed and a CL rating of 36 or lower. Probably a 32 gb kit of 2 x 16. Ripjaws model is excellent, but does not have RGB.

There are minor differences between them.

The Gigabyte Pro models have water cooling pump header; clear CMOS button rather than jumper; and possibly slight differences in VRM...compared to the Elite series.

The Gigabyte AX models have wireless, which you may not need?

The MSI Mortar Wifi II is a revision of the MSI Mortar Wifi. The Wifi II has an 3 M.2 ports rather than 2 on the earlier version. It also has slightly faster memory support.

Look over the specifications sheets for any of them that are within your budget.

Disregard all of this if you insist on a full ATX board.

Which one to buy?? Hard to say. You can have a terrible experience with any of them just by luck. That's true of motherboards generally.

I don't know anything about your power supply choice.

Syama

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
Thanks a lot. If I prefer MSI Board, MSI MAG B760M MORTAR WIFI II Motherboard, it is available here. Shall I prefer it? It is DDR5 board. It is with in my budget limit.

G.Skill Ripjaws S5 Intel XMP 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR5 6000 MHz CL36-36-36-96 (‎F5-6000J3636F16GX2-RS5K) is also available. RGB is not essential. If I opt Corsair PSU, which is best option?

That looks OK to me for motherboard and RAM.

You might improve the RAM a little bit if you can find Ripjaws with a CL rating of 30 rather than 36. Slight difference; not a big deal.

Motherboard here:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B760M-MORTAR-WIFI-II

Look at the spec sheet carefully for anything you DON'T like or anything you MUST have.

It has 3 M.2 ports; all 3 are gen 4.0; 2 of them have built-in heatsinks.

It has 4 system fan connectors.

Corsair power supplies: look for something that begins with RM. 650 or 750 watts should be plenty for you.