Question 12th gen to 13th gen worth it?

Oct 13, 2022
I recently (within the past couple weeks) built a new rig, with an i5 12600k and 3060ti. I didn't know gen 13 was right around the corner. Is it worth while to try and sell my current processor for a 13600k or kf? If I knew next gen would be out so soon I would have waited. I'm happy with the current build, just didn't know if it would be worth it to switch, I'm running a b660 mobo if that means anything.

I recently (within the past couple weeks) built a new rig, with an i5 12600k and 3060ti. I didn't know gen 13 was right around the corner. Is it worth while to try and sell my current processor for a 13600k or kf? If I knew next gen would be out so soon I would have waited. I'm happy with the current build, just didn't know if it would be worth it to switch, I'm running a b660 mobo if that means anything.

Reasons you might want to change to 13600K:

You make money with the PC, so "faster" means more money in your pocket.

You don't care about the cost of upgrading.

You have severe buyer's remorse and will castigate yourself endlessly for being so foolish.

You take a lot of pride in having the latest and greatest.

You are a benchmark junkie.

Some people are all of the above. We don't know about you.

B660......you'd probably have to update the BIOS on the B660 to run 13th generation CPUs. Possible but unlikely your existing B660 has the required BIOS.

Reactions: JaxoKream

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

FWIW I got a 12700KF at $302 on Amazon Prime day, had planned on getting either 13600K or 13700K but the deal was too much to pass up and I really did not think Raptor would be this much better.

Now, given how good Raptor Lake is, some regrets only assuaged by the fact that I got a good sample that OC'd very well.

It's really hard to find tests with different CPUs on GPUs more mainstream like the 3060 Ti. But I found some.

It... can be pretty significant even with a 3060Ti, despite some of the general groupthink that it isn't. Not in all titles, but quite a few.

That's not the subject of this video below, but you can see his tests with the 3060 Ti FE.

13600K vs 12600K got +10% on Horizon Zero Dawn at 1440P High, +12% on CyberPunk2077 at 4K high - with 3060 Ti.

With a 4090, it's sometimes +20%.

Reality though - Chances are you won't see it much until you upgrade the GPU unless you play these CPU-heavy games, but if you bought from Best Buy or something like that the return is easy and I'd do it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWjqdd-e9s&t=688s

Oct 13, 2022
Reasons you might want to change to 13600K:

You make money with the PC, so "faster" means more money in your pocket.

You don't care about the cost of upgrading.

You have severe buyer's remorse and will castigate yourself endlessly for being so foolish.

You take a lot of pride in having the latest and greatest.

You are a benchmark junkie.

Some people are all of the above. We don't know about you.

B660......you'd probably have to update the BIOS on the B660 to run 13th generation CPUs. Possible but unlikely your existing B660 has the required BIOS.
Lol, the only thing that really applies to me on the list is some slight buyers remorse, but it's not like I'm losing sleep over it haha. I'll just stick with what I got for the time being.

Oct 13, 2022
FWIW I got a 12700KF at $302 on Amazon Prime day, had planned on getting either 13600K or 13700K but the deal was too much to pass up and I really did not think Raptor would be this much better.

Now, given how good Raptor Lake is, some regrets only assuaged by the fact that I got a good sample that OC'd very well.

It's really hard to find tests with different CPUs on GPUs more mainstream like the 3060 Ti. But I found some.

It... can be pretty significant even with a 3060Ti, despite some of the general groupthink that it isn't. Not in all titles, but quite a few.

That's not the subject of this video below, but you can see his tests with the 3060 Ti FE.

13600K vs 12600K got +10% on Horizon Zero Dawn at 1440P High, +12% on CyberPunk2077 at 4K high - with 3060 Ti.

With a 4090, it's sometimes +20%.

Reality though - Chances are you won't see it much until you upgrade the GPU unless you play these CPU-heavy games, but if you bought from Best Buy or something like that the return is easy and I'd do it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMWjqdd-e9s&t=688s
Ouch seeing those numbers for cyberpunk and horizon just made it sting a little more lol. I purchased the cpu from Newegg via affirm, I don't know how the return policy works with that...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
For a long time the "go to" answer for that was to wait ~4 generations. In particular, the last couple/few (according to your option) have shaken that belief as the amount of IPC gain has been quite impressive generation to generation for both of the major players. Even with that, I am not really sure I would want to spend on a whole new system one generation later. You could choose to update BIOS and change over to a newer CPU for various reasons.

affirm...ouch! (don't miss a payment with those folks)

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Just checked the return policy, it's not eligible for refunds only replacements.

Well, sounds like a no-go. I would say try to OC it to 13600K levels, as that's what I did with my 12700KF, but you can't do that with B660.

There's nothing wrong with a 12600K of course, it'll dust Zen 3 and 11th gen Rocket Lake parts in most games. Realistically you won't notice much difference until you upgrade GPU next time, whenever that will be.