1394 ports not detected on reinstall

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

*sigh* Its me again. Got the other problems taken care of...now a new one.
Ok, new install of Win XP Pro on my PC which had the same version of XP
previously.No 1394 ports appear in the device manager, and when I connect
something to them, its like they aren't there. Also, there used to be a 1394
connected wireless adapter that showed up in the network connections folder,
now that is gone also. 1394 support is enabled in the bios. (asus board with
via 1394 controller) Bios is of the latest version. Also tried a previous
version, but no luck. Oh, and in the device manager, the motherboard still
shows up as a generic "system board", whereas last time it was listed as the
model and mfg that it is. But at least now when I connect to the Asus website
to update my BIOS using their asus flash, it recognized that it is an asus
board.I am currently looking for the updated Via 6307 chipset drivers (I
pretty much get "those are built into Windows" from everyone.) And since the
board doesn't use drivers as such, I'm at a loss for what to do there. I'm
thinking it has something to do with a lost or misplaced .inf file, but I'm
not sure. And for all of you out there bashing SP2, or Windows in
general...have you ever TRIED to use another OS? If you actually did, you
would hug Microsoft like it was your long lost brother.

Hello,

Did you install ASUS Driver CD after you install XP ? Did you make an new
installation on top of the other or erase everything and then install ?

I think you need Asus CD to proper install the drivers for 1394, you can try
also in Via web page for a driver for their chipset...

"Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> *sigh* Its me again. Got the other problems taken care of...now a new one.
> Ok, new install of Win XP Pro on my PC which had the same version of XP
> previously.No 1394 ports appear in the device manager, and when I connect
> something to them, its like they aren't there. Also, there used to be a
> 1394
> connected wireless adapter that showed up in the network connections
> folder,
> now that is gone also. 1394 support is enabled in the bios. (asus board
> with
> via 1394 controller) Bios is of the latest version. Also tried a previous
> version, but no luck. Oh, and in the device manager, the motherboard still
> shows up as a generic "system board", whereas last time it was listed as
> the
> model and mfg that it is. But at least now when I connect to the Asus
> website
> to update my BIOS using their asus flash, it recognized that it is an asus
> board.I am currently looking for the updated Via 6307 chipset drivers (I
> pretty much get "those are built into Windows" from everyone.) And since
> the
> board doesn't use drivers as such, I'm at a loss for what to do there. I'm
> thinking it has something to do with a lost or misplaced .inf file, but
> I'm
> not sure. And for all of you out there bashing SP2, or Windows in
> general...have you ever TRIED to use another OS? If you actually did, you
> would hug Microsoft like it was your long lost brother.

I am having the exact same problem. My Firewire Ports were working just fine
until I upgraded to SP2. I had to download the latest Bios from Asus and to
get that to boot up. AFter it booted up, my firewire port was missing whenI
tried using my camcorder. My Asus board is P4C800 Deluxe. Please let me
know if you find anything out.

Thanks!!!